OCEAN ALPHA CB24 HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,
looking for some urgent help on a cb24 dhw diagphram

basically went to one today, changed flow switch didnt work, stripped dhw flow diagphram section, found nowt wrong and put it back together the way I thought it should go, (METAL SIDE FACING OPPOSITE SIDE TO DIVERTOR SECTION ) ???

After doing this I got leaks from the divertor valve breather holes as the pin seemed to be pushing too far through ???

anyway re fitted oposite way and no c/h , boiler would fire and heat h/w circuit only..

opened back up and the damn thing fell apart..

drove me mental, looked at the manual and nothing to suggest which way to fit..

going to get a new diagphram tomorrow and need to know what way it goes in as all this ****ing about hasgot me totally muddled and forgot the set up !!

help

Sponsored Links
Start at the switch, then the spring then the metal plate then the manifold.

It sounds as if your unit may be in very poor condition or the shaft seal has failed on the manifold side of the diaphraghm.

Tony

The nobbly side faces the dv main shaft. Both springs are on the outside in the wider diaphragm housing.

The early flow switches we are changing at every boiler we go to. All Alphas are made just in time so the parts have a similar date stamp to the boilers age. You can tell the age from the serial number, A is last decade, B is this decade, the next number is the year the next two are the week, so nnB430nnnnn was made in the 30th week of 2004. All parts should be similarly dated.

The flow switches I am fitting are dated 6th month of 2006, these are good ones.

It is easy to prove the flow switch, unclip it and trigger it a number of times, as many times as it takes to convince you that it works on the nail every time.

dirty water supply can leave deposit of sand under diaphragm metal plates preventing good enough suction.

Paul Barker said:
The nobbly side faces the dv main shaft. Both springs are on the outside in the wider diaphragm housing.

The early flow switches we are changing at every boiler we go to. All Alphas are made just in time so the parts have a similar date stamp to the boilers age. You can tell the age from the serial number, A is last decade, B is this decade, the next number is the year the next two are the week, so nnB430nnnnn was made in the 30th week of 2004. All parts should be similarly dated.

The flow switches I am fitting are dated 6th month of 2006, these are good ones.

It is easy to prove the flow switch, unclip it and trigger it a number of times, as many times as it takes to convince you that it works on the nail every time.

dirty water supply can leave deposit of sand under diaphragm metal plates preventing good enough suction.

Paul from both comments above it would seem I refitted correctly first time, When i removed the diagphram it all came in 1 piece, held together and I cleaned and put back togehter and it leaked at the divertor valve ? strange as it didnt do this before ??

There was no real re assembly just really put the diagphram section back in (with the wider metal plate facing to the housing opposite the dv)

all the small springs and pins were attached and appeared to be part of the assembly so all I had to do was put the big spring on the outside...

dont know why it went wrong, but must have been ready to fall apart..

ps. does the diagphram kit come assembled this time as the old one seemed to have small retaining clips at both sides of the pin ??

printed of an exploded view that looks better than the pic on my laptop yesterday, so as long as I know the wider metal side of the diagphram faces opposite the dv I should be ok !!

thanks

Sponsored Links
You are correct.

I don't have any diaphragm kits for that model they just want me to change the whole dv on warranty jobs. Well the actual words were something like "if you want to **** about changing diaphragms that's up to you".

I do have diaphragms for the 240 280 but these are obviously entirely different beasts.

I can't see this dv in any of the cheap alternative dv places like bes screwfix antares. Not that it matters to me.

I don't actually have an exploded parts list just the list of parts I keep. But I am sure at parts centre they could get you a seal kit to renovate the rest of the dv, or it'll have to be a new one.

There are a couple of o rings involved in the process which it would be essential to use the manufacturers part for as cheap o rings and diverter valves don't go together. Ask Baxi, hahahahahahah.

Paul Barker said:
You are correct.

I don't have any diaphragm kits for that model they just want me to change the whole dv on warranty jobs. Well the actual words were something like "if you want to **** about changing diaphragms that's up to you".

I do have diaphragms for the 240 280 but these are obviously entirely different beasts.

I can't see this dv in any of the cheap alternative dv places like bes screwfix antares. Not that it matters to me.

I don't actually have an exploded parts list just the list of parts I keep. But I am sure at parts centre they could get you a seal kit to renovate the rest of the dv, or it'll have to be a new one.

There are a couple of o rings involved in the process which it would be essential to use the manufacturers part for as cheap o rings and diverter valves don't go together. Ask Baxi, hahahahahahah.

the diagphram change looks quite easy, remove pump, 4 screws and in, seems a lot easier than a full DV ?? unless the kit assy is a pain it looks quite straight forward !

The dv change is also easy, there is no need to remove anything else, take the dv and domestic off together, split them once on the bench, when reassembling get the thread started on the left most nut first. Takes about 10 minutes for a clutz to change one.

Changing the diaphragm seemed easy but has turned out to be two trips and some frantic questions on the net. :D :D :D :D

Paul Barker said:
The dv change is also easy, there is no need to remove anything else, take the dv and domestic off together, split them once on the bench, when reassembling get the thread started on the left most nut first. Takes about 10 minutes for a clutz to change one.

Changing the diaphragm seemed easy but has turned out to be two trips and some frantic questions on the net. :D :D :D :D

not wrong there mate but if I had the diagphram to change it would only have been the once, plus its for a mate so £30 for a kit compared to £130 for a DV, think i know what he would want !!

thanks for your advise again guys !

The kit comes preassembled, the diaph alone is standard giannoni so you can swap it if you're bovvered. Centre shaft is shorter than giannoni kit one, iirc. Not done many but the old rubber has always disintegrated and stuck to everything for some reason :confused:

ChrisR said:
The kit comes preassembled, the diaph alone is standard giannoni so you can swap it if you're bovvered. Centre shaft is shorter than giannoni kit one, iirc. Not done many but the old rubber has always disintegrated and stuck to everything for some reason :confused:

this one actually looked ok when I TOOK APART !! think the shaft must have been sticking and not making flow switch, the kit quickly fell apart when I opened up second time tho !!

Ogorblimey, got you now.
Got one here I can dismantle and send you pics of if that helps.
Sounds like I might need it myself one day!

I'll be out all day though, probably until midnight (again) :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back