Ocean Combi, DHW flow... not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ocean Style FF combi boiler. Works fine on central heating, but no hot water. When tap is run, the water flow switch does not activate, although it works when the CH is put on, so the diaphragm is fine. I noticed that the fan resistor is extremely hot- it's attached to the left side of the control box, but is too hot to touch the casing. Also, the indicator light underneath flickers on and off rapidly.

Any ideas what to try next??

Matthew

Sponsored Links
It obviously IS the diaphragm as you are only getting hot water because you have turned the heating on :!:

The fan resistor is hot as it is disapaiting heat from the reduction in voltage for the low fan rate which this boiler requires as it has a pilot light.
Perfectly normal, but does chuffin hurt when you brand yourself on it changing the diaphragm.

I have worked on many many Oceans. Dont do it yourself unless you know what you are doing and make sure you get the seal KIT 710 as you will need many o rings to stop the thing peeing out from ever distrubed joint, especially on the calorifier at the back. I can only count on one hand the number of diaphragms I have managed to change without changing any other O rings.

The lights probably flickering because the neon is stuffed. Its been lit for over 10 years now and I bet there aint a bulb in your house thats lasted that long.

Stan

mdshaw55 said:
Any ideas what to try next??

Matthew

Yeah, get a new boiler! Sounds like the diaphragms gone and if you can find anyone stupid enough to replace it then they wont be able to sort out all the leaks afterwards!!

Sponsored Links
I turned the selector to just hot water & everything works again (though obv no heating)... so diaphragm is ok, water pressure good. I think it must be the pressurestat microswitch which needs replacing.

They have nasty bits of plastic in which go brittle with age, too. Sometimes they'll sit in the right place, by chance. and it'll work for a while. One's a peg for the flow microswitch.

Start saving up, it's a dead parrot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back