combi boiler hot water flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ocean Style FF combi boiler in my flat. It is quite old but seems to work quite well. I recently had it serviced which included a new rubber diaphram.

The problem is that recently it requires the hot tap to be full on before switching to heat the hot water flow. Is there and adjustment to make so it requires less water flow to start the boiler heating the water.

It is annoying because you get a lot of overspray in the sink just to get hot water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the diverter diaphragm has either been fitted incorrectly or the shaft it moves has become seized up.

Better to call the person who repaired it before.

Tony

thanks,

The chap who did it didn't really seem to know what he was doing but it still cost me £150 plus parts. The problem is i don't really want to call him back and can't really afford another call out.

Might have to live with it until I can afford another repair.

He can't now charge call out, that work has to be guarenteed. I would say get back and put it right.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be a pain but can anyone explain the workings of my boiler (ocean style ff)
My father and I checked the diaphram which was replaced (the one behind the hw/hwch dial) and all seemed ok. The pin seemed to move ok.
We also checked the water flow switch (on the top right hand side) and this seemed to be working fine too.

When the heating is on it only takes a small draw of hot water to switch the heating off but the water heater doesn't then click on until the tap is on full flow (and therefore the water isn't very hot). Is there a third pressure diaphram somewhere which is at fault.

At least If I'm armed with a little more knowledge I can check what the plumber is doing when I call him back

thanks very much

Dont know if you have the manual, if not the domestic water flow switch you found just uses 2 of the 3 wires to it, which connect to T5 and T6 or the Brown plug. Other contact goes to T4 which is redundant but you could use to monitor if handier. Check the switch operator is moving quickly, as it should.

Not the most conventional mechanism in this boiler but as Agile says it'll probably boil down to servicing what's there. Wouldn't expect any adjustment.

Tap water flow switch requires 4 litres per minute, which is a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back