Odd blistering plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I've just had 2 rooms plastered in one room after applying a mist coat the plaster has blistered in a sound wave pattern in a small area of the ceiling. Please see the picture.

I have used the same paint in both rooms so assume it's not the paint. When I rollered this area of the ceiling it did make a sort of flex noise like something was loose when I applied the roller.

I left the plaster for 10 days before painting.

Any idea what ha cause this and how best to resolve it?

Thanks

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 261
Sponsored Links
Adam,,, it looks to me as if it is plaster that has blistered. "Gently" rub the back of your hand/fingernails over the area, and you'll soon hear if it is hollow underneath. Do that over other areas of the ceiling too. If it is hollow etc, get your plasterer back.

Depends to some extent on what you were plastering/skimming onto? And what the finish was and how it was mixed?
Pic 2. shows an irregular, grainy, rough surface - IOW's its been badly skimmed.
Perhaps a more detailed preparation was needed?

Thanks. They skimmed new plasterboard so I guess bad prep.

The plaster is coming round tomorrow so will see what he says

Sponsored Links
I've perhaps seem similar with thin plaster at the edges when feathering/patching on existing skim. A roller especially has cause blistering when painting after - seems to soak it more with paint and the suction pulls harder at the surface than using a brush.
I've certainly not had a problem with skim on new boards.
See what plasterer says.

The paper may have come away from the plaster board before it was put up and when it was skimmed it may have caused the "bubbles". It's just a thought!! But you can get a sharp blade and gently cut around the bubbled areas and maybe skim it with a bit of easi-fill and when it has gone off sand it lightly till it is level with the surrounding board and paint over it and you may have to rub it down a bit more when the paint has dried and maybe put another coat of easi-fill and rub that down, When its dry paint the whole wall again and it should blend back in.

Well said Roy. I've seen that before where the edge of a sheet/end is damaged, and the p/d paper blisters up. How's things mucca,, still working hard? . Great to see you still posting.

Hi roughcaster I am still working but am thinking of packing it in this year. Am getting to the age where I think its time to have a rest. How have you been doing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back