odd boiler request

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rented accomodation in which the tenants take the absolute **** out of the heating. The leave the boiler on all day when there not in. I have to foot the bill as I have included it in there rent.

My request is this, is there such a device where I can attach to the boiler which won't allow the heanting to go on other than when I have programmed it to go on? I would want this conbtrol to take over the boiler controls effectively making the boiler controls non functional so to speak?

Sponsored Links
A CM907 located in a locked cupboard with a remote sensor in the living area (connected by bell-wire).

Hot water depends on the boiler.

Last time I fitted one like that the tenants soon rewired the boiler to ensure 24 hour heating at maximum heat output!

Tony

Can you really pick and choose when the tenants can have the heating on? I certainly wouldnt be happy with an arrangement like that if i was renting.
Is there no easy way to change the arrangement so they are billed accordingly to their energy consumtion?

Sponsored Links
The one that I did was for an Iraqi Jewish Landlord and most of his tenants were arabs some of which worked in these kebab places so did not get home until 2 am when they wanted heating as they relaxed until their bedtime at 4-5pm.

So with the different working hours the landlords 9-5 expectation was totally unsuitable.

There is a good solution and thats to have a one hour advance unit so the tenant has to be preent and press the button every hour!

The ones for heating are quite expensive at about £100 but ones designed for lighting could probably be used in most cases and are only about £12.

Tony

Thank you very much for the advise I have received so far. I am currently looking into the suggestions made. I like the idea of a 1 hour timer. At this early stage I'm thinking a one hour unit can be fitted outside outside the cupboard where the boiler is located. That way I lock the cupboard and let them push the button only for an hour

I would never consider renting where the tenant doesn't pay their own bills - as you've demonstrated (and you're not the first here with the problem), if you foot the bill then they have no incentive to economise.

If you can't reason with the tenants and persuade them to be more reasonable, then it may be better to end the tenancy (assuming you can) and start a new one - either with the same or different tenants, but definitely with the tenant paying the bills.

Your right in what you have said SimonH2. However to make tenants pay there share is EVEN harder.

All part of the fun of being a landlord. I'm guessing in your situation it's not a separate supply - my ASTs specify that the tenant pays all utility bills etc direct so I don't have that problem.
Ultimately you have to take your choice - accept your current tenants or find new ones.

Is it possible to fit a meter to record what the tenant uses separate from anything else ? If so, then do that, and in future specify that electric is not included. Be aware that there are regulations setting max resale prices - to curb certain landlords that take the wee-wee on per unit costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back