Odd boiler running and cold rads.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I wonder if anyone here can make a suggestion what to try next.

I posted a while back about a faulty mainboard in my Gloworm Ultimate fan assisted boiler (about 12 years old). Following advice, I got an engineer in who decided that it was indeed the board and bought me a new one which he fitted and all worked for about three weeks.

On Wed last week, the boiler didn't warm the rads in the morning. Since then, Much investigation has left me wondering what is going on.

Here is the current state of play.

1 When the entire electrics are turned off for a while, (using the isolator switch to the programmer) the system ignites when turned back on. It runs for a short time then turns off.

2 The programmer is not the fault. (I got a new one from a local merchant and tried it out – same situation. Luckily managed to make the controller look as if not used and they took it back!!!)

3 There is electricity at the pump end and it is controlled perfectly well by the bolt on thermostat. I can hear no noises from the pump – no whooshing, gurgling, throbbing............ in fact nada. When I rotate the thermostat to a higher temp, there are turning on noises somewhere but can't work out where.

4 The hot water is still really really hot even after 5 days of the system not working(???) Several drawings of water, three runnings of the Washing machine etc.... The immersion has not been used.

5 The pump body is also red hot!

I'm confused now! :confused:

The Engineer who tried earlier has been coaching me to try and diagnose but can't get here till next week.

Sponsored Links
your boiler is probably set up with gravity hot water/pumped central heating, it looks like you need a new pump ;)

Thanks to the helpers.

The gas guy talked me through a final analysis and it proved to be the 3 port valve at fault. Fixed now.
Cheers.

Jim M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back