Odd one - smell of wallpaper paste except..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We stripped the walls years ago and they are now painted! On humid days I've noticed that the hall and two rooms smell of wall paper paste, like when a room is being decorated. These rooms had wallpaper on them when we moved into the house but have been painted for at last 5 years.

Is this normal? The walls a dry to touch and I've only just made the correlation between weather and the smell. The smell only comes a few times a year. I live in Wales :)

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Believe it or not, we experience the same thing. We live in an old cottage, which in areas has hygroscopic salts leaching through the plaster. On warm humid days we get the same smell along with 2 patches of "Salt Damp". The smell could he wallpaper paste residue re hydrating I suppose. In my case I need to just hack a few patches of plaster off and re do. Its a strange one!

Salts in the plaster would make sense. I can't find any evidence of damp patches though. It's just a general whiff of wallpaper paste.

Odd one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back