Odd Salus RT500 thermostat behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Had lots of issues with my Central Heating recently. The Salus Wireless Thermostat is calling for heat, the Salus receiver is green but the boiler does not always fire up. Hot water is OK. Oddly it ALWAYS works in morning when I turn the thermostat up after being off all night.

But once it reaches the higher temperature and eventually turns itself off, it almost always never comes back on again automatically when the temperature dips below the setting, even though the green light is on. If I fiddle with it long enough, and turn the thermostat up/down sometimes for an hour it eventually comes on.

Here's the even odder bit. When the thermostat calls for heat and the green light comes on, I can tell immediately if the boiler will come on or not as the click is louder when it works and a duller click when it does not. When it works and you hear the louder click and then you get the metallic clanging sound of the presumably two-way valve opening and all is OK ....until next time.

Before Xmas I had the electric part of the two-way valve replaced thinking it was that, but my new troubleshooting suggests it works from cold but only sometimes works when warm. Where next? The boiler is a Grant oil boiler but I think that is irrelevant here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks TCCHeating What would you recommend if I replace both the transmitter and the receiver? Also the only bit that confuses me if it is electrical is why it ALWAYS works when it has been off overnight but wont function during the day when it goes on/off a lot. Doesn't sound electrical?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back