Odour from stack

dk3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we are getting odour from internal stack, it's a small utility,no leaks. Work done 2 years ago, was occasional but now more frequent. Had plumber out the first couple of times, insisted all is fine. I think (just from checking online) that the top of the stack should have an air admittance valve, it has a cap that screws on. Pic attached. Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 20210111_201022.jpg
    20210111_201022.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
What else is connected to that stub stack? AAV isn't always required, can connect a WC directly to the drain under some circumstances, and a basin into the pan connector, so it's not necessarily wrong.

It should however, be sealed, so if you've odours coming into the room, there may be another issue. Does the WC still flush correctly, or does the water fill the pan before slowly subsiding?

Thanks Hugh, there is just the toilet connected there. The toilet faces a sink and the washing machine is beside that, they go in the waste pipe under the sink at the start of the waste pipe. Toilet flushes and fills normally.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, sorry I wouldn't know. Odour happens outside of flushing, sometimes we come home and it's there. It smells like it comes from the stack (up close) but maybe any stack would smell if you get close enough to it

Sorry, looks like I jumped the gun there......I thought there was a good chance there was a hand basin drain connecting into the stack, and a flush was sucking the air out of that. Not unknown!
Looking at the pic, all seems to be in order - is there any leakage where the toilet pan locates into its connector?
John :)

The orange soil pipe......is there a gap behind it from where the pong could come from?
Everything there looks pretty good to me!

Thank you for your time John. Its reassuring to know everything is as it should be, odour aside. No gap there, it is just the pipe coming up to receive pipe from toilet, pic attached during the work. Would taping the pipe help in anyway, at least see if it seals the odour?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210112-111825_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-111825_Chrome.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 48
For sure, no harm in it but things look pretty sound to me - unless there's a rubber seal gone AWOL of course!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back