Office Electrics

DIY is all well and good until something goes wrong. It could be nothing to do with your wiring it happened to me when one worked stole an extension lead from another workers locker who put it in a puddle and got a shock as a result.

Hospital auto informs HSE who arrive on site within the hour. It is then they look at every little thing not only the cable in question I got it in the neck because some panels had plastic keys fitted which could be removed and used to open other panels.

At this point every i needs dotting and every t needs crossing. They go though all the paper work and want to see every installation certificate and minor works and every PIR as it was called then. Then you get the questions who signed that and who does he work for and one prays it all OK.

This may be after one year or 20 years you never know when but if they find much wrong they will close you down. I was lucky I was given 6 months to complete the faults they found. Which was not a problem. All but key problem was not mine and all I needed to do was remove the keys.

But they found loads of faults like the mesh on a guard having holes which were too big. It did not stop with electrical it looked at everything on site and the management were completely unaware of the extension lead.

Once they get their teeth in they don't let go. I am sure you have seen on this forum how even electricians can't agree with all aspects of the regulations. For commercial there is no Part P. However much you want to shift blame you can't. There is no LABC inspector to blame for errors. With domestic courts tend not to fine the DIY guy. That's not the case with commercial. In one job I was multi-skilled both auto and mains electrics. I had all the certificates required for the mains work but insurance required a mains electrician was with me before I touched 230 or 400 volt even though I had been employed as a mains electrician before by same firm and also after that job.

No one says you must have bits of paper. However if you get anything wrong that proves you did not have the skills required so you need to prove you did and it was an isolated incident because XYZ. Showing 20 years working as an electrician even if no exams passed is likely good enough. But you do need to have some thing to show you should have known what you are doing even if you did make an error.

Sponsored Links
I don't see a suppliers earth in the photo. TT earthing?

I'm guessing that this might be a row of joined (terraced if you prefer) units with a common steel frame and the supply authority refuse to give TNCS.

Just guessing...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back