Garden Office / log cabin or block outbuilding ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Newbie so hi ;)

I have been looking around for a while but would be interestd in hearing peoples comments on their experiences of garden offices.

I would like to build a 7mX2.5m building in my garden to work in. This would be built in one of two ways.
1) blocks, double skinned with insulation and a sloping flat roof (keep costs down). One way would be glazed and have sliding doors. Rendered outside so it looks modern. - no planning needed due to size.
2)log cabin with additional internal wall built and insulation added for warmth through the winter.

Both would need the ground digging and levelling with some degree of concrete base (either foundations all a complete concrete floor - not sure which).

Anyway both types I feel have their draw backs.
blocks - I would need a brick layer and its a bit more involved. Positive relativley cheap for a solid, well insulted building.
log cabin - not sure on the warmth of these and I see you can pay up 10k (which to me seems daft) also what about condensation ? positive - flat packs available.

Anyway like i say it will be to work in every day so it has to be warm, have electrics, no condensation (as have PCs, printers etc)...etc etc

anyone done this ? any advise ?

thanks and great site !

Sponsored Links
Had a log cabin installed in our back garden 4mx3m cost about £2,500 walls and ceiling approx 50mm (2 inches) windows and doors double glazed.
We had a concrete plinth made for it which cost lot more than just a plinth as we had electric and drains put in as it was to be used as a utility room
No building consent was needed as its a shed.

You must make sure that its at least 1m from boundaries.Guy assembled it in about two days.

Before you start be aware a shed etc over 15m2 does have certain building regs implications, or as above keep it 1m away from boundry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, how do you find your log cabin, is it warm to work in every day ? any condensation ?

planning - I have spoken to them and plan on dropping them an email when I start just so they can confirm in writing I dont need planning.

BUilding Regs - Thansk for 1m tip - do you know if thats the edge of the building or the ground work ? I assume the ground work.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back