Office Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im reasonably cofident in home wiring, and have given my house a full rewire which was passed off and certified.

I have recently began to rent a small warehouse space which I plan to put an office space in too. I plan to do the construction myself including the wiring (again, this wont be connected live till checked by a pro).

Is there any differences in cabling etc for an office, or is it the same principle of running a 2.5mm ring.
There will be nothing of unusual power being ran in the office, just the comment PCs, Printer, Kettle (gotta have a brew!), etc

Cheers
Rust

Sponsored Links
The basic regs are much the same but there is often a need for more thought! loads are likely to be higher, distances longer and some circuits will likely not start from the origin of the installation. This means volt drop is far more likely to be a significant consideration. If there will be large numbers of computers then high integrity earthing may be needed.

If there will be large numbers of computers then high integrity earthing may be needed.

And consideration as to the possible issue of added earth leakage currents. RCBOs and radials for some circuits may be a requirement to avoid this, so a careful design is necessary.

Sponsored Links
Nothing in the lease

I would estimate if it was a single ring then the whole loop length would be 40m from origin. I dont think we would surpass a max of 8 computers.

sorry, I was just trying to give an idea of perimeter. I would probably split this in to 2 or 3 circuits

You gotta think about if the sockets go off, you don't want all the PC's going down too.

I see where your coming from there yes

So in terms of design, would you put the PCs on its own curcuit (maybe even two circuits) then any other electrical devices on their own circuit

There is also the issue in an office, place of work, of liability should anything go wrong.

That is - yours.

one major difference

single phase v three phase

dont have a fry up for breakfast

Also likely to be issues RE: fire risk assessment, e.g. for emergency lighting and fire alarm panel, and also possibility of certain containment/cable support systems being stipulated.

Really this job should not be done by a DIYer, and your insurance company will probably not entertain the notion either.

The board is completely full and has an RCD main switch. Not going to be a suitable place to supply a new office from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back