Offset connector for toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Installing a new toilet to existing pipe work. The new bog is about 20mm lower than the soil pipe. No idea why, the old one wasn't that old, and was not sitting on anything.

I have bought a 20mm offset connector which centres it perfectly. However, it leaks slightly. No major worries, as I guess a flange is caught somewhere which will be obvious on removal, but it got me thinking...

The toilet is still lower than the pipe, so there is a very slight 'uphill' gradient in the pipe work, so presumably always a little reservoir of water against the connection.

Are offset connectors designed to be used in this way (ie to raise the connection)? Great idea, but I guess you can cheat gravity...

If this fails, I'll mount the toilet on a small plinth.

Sponsored Links
Are offset connectors designed to be used in this way (ie to raise the connection)

Offsets are designed to be used when the pan is higher than the waste not lower, so your always going to get waste water form in the offset of the pan connector not ideal.

Hmm, yes, the other 'substance' had crossed my mind !

I shall fashion a 15mm mdf plinth for the pan and raise it that way, as adapting the soil pipe (hidden behind a maze of pipes and boxed off) is too horrible to contemplate.

Unless anyone else has any ideas?

Sponsored Links
MDF or chipboard are poor choices to fashion a plinth from. If they get damp both will swell then fall apart.

Better using plywood or real tree wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back