Oh bother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just came back from a weeks break in the Peak district and found my Thorn apollo 15/30b pilot light out. Good job I had a spare thermo couple in the garage. Up and working again, and just ordered a replacement spare off ebay £8.75 inc. postage.

In 27 years this flipping boiler has cost me around £40 in replacement parts, 1 pump overrun stat and 3 thermo couples including the replacement spare I have just ordered :cool: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Just came back from a weeks break in the Peak district and found my Thorn apollo 15/30b pilot light out. Good job I had a spare thermo couple in the garage. Up and working again, and just ordered a replacement spare off ebay £8.75 inc. postage.

In 27 years this flipping boiler has cost me around £40 in replacement parts, 1 pump overrun stat and 3 thermo couples including the replacement spare I have just ordered :cool: :LOL:

Tut tut, surely it should still be within warranty? :D

I was more thinking about the safety issues doing DIY gas repairs!

Sponsored Links
I was more thinking about the safety issues doing DIY gas repairs!

Oh dear, Mr. self righteous. Talk about jumping in with both feet
I have possibly/probably spent more years as an RGI than you have.

I installed this boiler.

Now retired :LOL:

It was a good boiler when you installed it.

But technology moves on and you should have fitted a nice condensing boiler a few years ago.

My first CORGI number was 70,xxx when it was voluntary but I did not do much boiler work until after I left BBC Engineering when my new CORGI number was 184xxx so I expect you were reg for many more years than I have been.

Tony

Yes I guess I could have put in a condenser 10 /15 years ago, which probably would be due for renewal about now after spending £lots on parts.

therefore :- 2 condensers plus parts minimum cost £3000
Savings on gas costs over same period maximum£1000

balance = - £2000

Hmmmm! :confused:

I often explain this to little old ladies that have been convinced that they're old reliable boiler is costing them a fortune and a nice new shiny one will save them on their gas :rolleyes:

£2000 later

Hows the flueless fire going snugib ?? & by the way u need a new boiler think of the planet :)

Hows the flueless fire going snugib ?? & by the way u need a new boiler think of the planet :)

Hi Transam how are you?
The fires fine. This was it last night.our 8 year old Burley G4240. Me and the wife sitting all cosy watching the last episode of Parades End on catch up while sipping a medium bodied red :D

View media item 50537

As for saving the planet I wonder what the carbon footprint is for sourcing all the materials, transportation and manufacture of these new boilers. Not to mention the extra electricity they use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back