Install used boiler temporarily? (Vaillant)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My boiler has just packed in, British gas want to condemn it for a faulty gas valve, even though spares can be sourced. I can't be bothered to spend the £250-350 for someone to fit a new one on a 15 year old boiler so a new one is in order.

I've got a Vaillant 615 R1 (2010) sitting in the garage that was replaced by a combi last year at my Grandad's property. It was running perfect (still got it's flue gas analysis paperwork) and had been serviced the month before de-commissioning.
This boiler could easily look after our 11kW UFH load whilst we get quotes in for a new boiler. I don't see something getting fitted this side of christmas. For hot water we've got an immersion. I'm looking at Vaillant, Intergas, Viessman atm, I want opentherm to match my current Keston C40's capabilities.

Provided we get a new flue for it, can registered gas installers fit a used boiler?

Cheers,
Saajan

Sponsored Links
yes, if you can find one that will do it.

Hmm, yes and no. There's no practical reason why not, but I think Gas Safe would see it as a new installation, which means that it would need to comply with current regulations. All new boiler installations now need an ErP energy rating, and your old Vaillant doesn't have one, so it wouldn't comply.

It's also quite likely to cost you a similar amount to swap to the Vaillant as it is to repair the Keston, so you may as well go for the less disruptive option

You will probably be quoted more to fit that old one back in than repairing the current. Also like noted the problems that will come with that and the struggle to find an engineer who will even agree to it.

Sponsored Links
I had my independent guy round to have a look, the gaskets for the heat exchanger are on their way out too so there's not much point in repairing it now (heat exchanger is an obselete part). No other independents want to touch this old beast. Hey ho it's lasted 15 years which is a good run for one of these. Looks like I'll be getting some quotes in for a new boiler either way, Cadent ended up capping the supply to the whole house due to there being no isolating valve for just the boiler.

Any recommendations? Was looking at the worcester CDI 40kW or a vaillant ecotec 637.
I'd like opentherm capability so is Viessman or Intergas worth looking at? I'm wondering what their aftersales and parts availability is like because they're not as established in the UK I'm guessing.

Cheers

Intergas worth looking at?
from what Ive read on here, intergas are definitely worth looking at -if you say what area you are somebody on here might be able to suggest an installer.

as far as i can tell, quite are few boiler brands are perfectly fine, the key is the quality of the installation and subsequent servicing.

Intergas are definitely worth looking at - best boiler on the market IMHO. After sales is fine and the field engineers are great too (especially @Razor900 )

Hmm, I like the look of the Intergas HRE SB 40, it supports opentherm out of the box. I've looked into Worcester and Vaillant, neither support OpenTherm officially in the UK so will have to rule them out.
I'll be honest I'm finding the Viessman models hard to decipher, does anyone know what model I should be looking at if I want a 40kW~ heat only boiler with OpenTherm? (Already have an external expansion vessel so don't need a system).
Does anyone know any Intergas installers based in Hertfordshire?

Cheers

Daft question:
I would assume you have other heating than the 11Kw UFH load? If not it makes no sense to fit a 40Kw boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back