oh dear musnt offend the fashion police

joe-90 said:
Thermo said:
where did you get that nugget of information from then joe?

I read it somewhere, I tend to remember nearly everything I've ever read (but I can't remember where).

joe
very convienient when someone asks where you got that information from :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
unless theyve changed their remit cps will aim to secure the most sucessful prosecution. The reason being that they are measured on sucessful prosecutions, not what may happen in the future regarding an appeal, as there is no way of knowing that at the time of the case, as if there was it would be dealt with in court at the time! Hence why a case will often be dropped to a lesser charge if the defendent pleads to it. I can recall cases where the cps were happy to accept lesser charges for a guilty plea despit our best arguments with them at court. I wont give you all the examples as we will be here all day!

kendor said:
joe-90 said:
Thermo said:
where did you get that nugget of information from then joe?

I read it somewhere, I tend to remember nearly everything I've ever read (but I can't remember where).

joe
very convienient when someone asks where you got that information from :rolleyes:

Do you know the source of everything you've ever read?

joe

Thermo said:
unless theyve changed their remit cps will aim to secure the most sucessful prosecution. The reason being that they are measured on sucessful prosecutions!

A prosecution that automatically leads to an appeal that the CPS know they will lose isn't a successful prosecution.

joe

Sponsored Links
sorry joe but are you talking from a factual point of view or just basing this on something youve read?

Thermo said:
sorry joe but are you talking from a factual point of view or just basing this on something youve read?

I read about it after some high profile case was brought against someone that was very lenient. When the CPS were asked to explain why, they said that they knew there was no chance of getting a conviction on a tougher charge as they knew they would lose the appeal so they opted for a lesser one. Basically they were saying that 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing. Then again it's always been that way.

joe

its sort of the way they work, but its not about appeals, its about what they will actually win in court. eg if someone is charged with gbh and the evidence is ok, they will still more likely accept a plea to the lesser charge of abh as theyve definetly got a conviction and another tick in the box. What used to really annoy me is for it to have got that far usually means there is a very good case and evidence as they wont even touch anything borderline before it gets to that point. But what do i care i dont do that anymore!

joe-90 said:
A prosecution that automatically leads to an appeal that the CPS know they will lose isn't a successful prosecution.
I've just asked a criminal defense barrister, who says this:

1. There's no such thing as an automatic appeal.
2. There's no such thing as certainty of losing a prosecution.

In case you didn't already know, a barrister doesn't train for as long a consultant surgeon, but, when in court, generally earns more per hour.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my boiler has a faulty PCB. Should I replace the flow switch solenoid dongle valve actuator bush mounting bracket support sleeve?

yes, unless its painted with checked paint and held in with three chocolate pins

joe-90 said:
Do you know the source of everything you've ever read?

joe
no but then i don't use it as an excuse to try to win arguments like you so willingly do on here!

Sponsored Links
Back