oh dear! opinions please.

Moz said:
pickles
you work for safestyle as a salesman dont you ? lol..lol...lol...lol :) :)

Never heard of them. I had the most appalling experience with double glazing salesmen when i was much younger, like 20 years ago, and it put me of until last year when I had one of the big boys round. I just couldn't fault them

I hate being sold things, as opposed to buying them in my own time. I went into car land just to look about and they tried to get me to fill out forms the second I got through the door. I walked straight out before I murdered someone

Sponsored Links
pickles
my wife went with a pal to carcraft an her mate was strongarmed /sweet talked into a a right sh*tty finance deal ...
I went in with her as her "hubby"
(fit lass .. lol )

an ripped it up a few days later in the show room , shyster bast*rds

what do you do btw .. ??
IT worker I bet ?

A classic is to ask them what UPVC actually stands for...youl be surprised the amount of salesmen who dont know.. :rolleyes:

The last time we had one in we told him we were very impressed with the windows and if we couldnt have afforded theirs then we wouldnt bother at all and stick with our rotton wooden ones till we saved up enough...

The blokes was almost falling over himself to get the deal..and knocked his own and his ficticious managers prices down too1...

Stupid mugs...

Stick a comment on blagger about the company

pickles said:
I don't agree with that Glassman. I had 2 quotes from big names, both were polite and didn't hassle me and when I took one of the quotes they did a really good job. They are coming back to do a conservatory and that seems to be going ok as well. I would mention their name but the Mods would take it out as advertising

The little local guys were all rude and didnt really seem to know what they were doing

If you're happy with your windows then I am happy for you and who can argue? Was it his charm or the final price which swayed you? ;)

But you tell me, how can a suited monkey sit on your sofa for 5 hours and then give you an accurate price without pulling out a tape measure or taking a look to see how many windows and doors you actually need?
Answer - They go in way overpriced in the first place. Doesn't matter if you want 6 windows or 60 windows.

I priced up a terraced house a few weeks back for 2 UPVC doors and 6 UPVC windows. I think the price I gave him was about £2,800.00

A big national company went in before me and quoted him £12,600.00 without even taking a look around the house first!! :eek:

After a lot of bartering I think he went down to about 4 grand but by this time the customer was put off.

Sponsored Links
Glassman, I probably didn't get the cheapest deal, but I wasn't trying to. A girl (woman really) came, in a suit, sat down showed me what I could do, made a load of sensible suggestions about my conservatory and just told me what I needed to know. She had that womans design thing "have you thought of so and so, why don't you do it like this it'll look better" which really helped. It was much better designed with her input

She measured up and gave me a price. I got another big name in and the first lot were cheaper so I went with them, a surveyor came and measured properly later and that was that. The local guy who quoted seemed a bit clueless and was definitely a bit stroppy

They just did not hassle me and did a very good job, everything works well and they did very little damage. I couldn't fault them and believe me I was expecting to. The last experience put me off for 20 odd years, so I was sensitive about pressure selling to say the least

I'm not saying the Nationals are necessarily better than local firms, they are certainly more expensive, but my own experience has been positive so far

got a local company to come round and give me a quote.the main reasons were.
1.aftersales.
2.10 yr warrenty.
3.good selection of products.
4.no hard sell/pressure.
5.came highly recommended from previos customers.(feedback on the web)
6.last of all ,£££££££££ got a good deal.you pays your money,you take your chances.
ended up o.k. at the end of the day.
thanks for all the advice i have been given.
just got to get the bathroom suite/carpets/kitchen .... :rolleyes:

Pickles.

If you are happy with what you paid for then at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks. If you feel they did a good job for a fair price then thats the important thing. ;)

I aren't saying that all "local" window companies are honest. There are cowboys in every trade. Im just trying to point out that it is far easier to check out the history of a local company. It makes a hell of a big deal if things do go wrong.

pickles
this girl who turned out , did she have a short skirt on ?

when she was up the stepladder measuring up did you hold it for her ...?

lol ..lol...lol :)

joe-90 said:
One big point to remember is that you invited them to quote. YOU HAVE NO COOLING PERIOD. IF YOU SIGN UP YOU ARE COMMITTED.
It isn't quite that black and white joe.

It's possible for a visit to a consumer's home to be unsolicited, even if that consumer started the ball rolling by requesting a quote on a web site.

SI 1987:2117 states:

3) In this regulation "unsolicited visit" means a visit by a trader, whether or not he is the trader who supplies the goods or services, which does not take place at the express request of the consumer and includes a visit which takes place after a trader telephones the consumer (otherwise than at his express request) indicating expressly or by implication that he is willing to visit the consumer.

So, in this particular scenario, it hinges on whether or not the consumer requested the telephone call.

Also, even if the visit is solicited, then there is still safe haven if a consumer signs up to a credit agreement, because that contract would be covered under the provisions of The Consumer Credit 1984 which require a minimum cooling-off period of five days.

Sponsored Links
Back