oh dear! opinions please.

You don`t want to be rude...fair enough BUT sometimes you have to be...I once chased a K**by vac salesman up the path.because my Mrs. had given our unlisted phone No. Got it off them :LOL:

Sponsored Links
ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
thanks for all the helpful advice but saying on a forum is different from actually doing it,has anyone actually done this? I don't want to be rude with the salesman but don't want him to think i'm easy meat.at the end of the day the saleman is only doing his job.oooooooooer i'm dreading it already and so's the wife.

Yes I have dealt with pushy salespeople before but I treat it as a bit of a game.
Don't get too worried by it, just make sure you don't sign anything tonight and if you do not want them to sit there for 2 hours them you need to be polite but firm straight away and if that does not work then just firm.
What Adam said is spot on. You're the boss, don't let them out-smarm you.

i think the answers in your username. I wouldnt even give them the time of day. Anyone that cant give an honest straight forward quote without the need to go through all the spiel and prat around haggling is not worth your time.

what you need to do is say thanks for the quote i will get back to you , but they will do the i will phone my boss up and try and get it reduced but if i get it reduced you will have to sign tonight to close the deal, just frow the question back if you wanted a new central heating system put in would you take the first quote no i dont think you would.

Sponsored Links
BETTER STILL go and get 6 eggs in a bowl pore in 1 can of super larger, drink and you will be garanteed room lingering smelly fa...rts,

I always use local trades lads/firms ...

be polite but firm , get the quote an say you will let them know , an then say ,right then Ill show you out , I got something on....
then show him out ...

local firms Dont normal try the hard sell :)

I have always done a reverse auction on them people..just tell them all you want is their very best quote...and tell them you have said the same to, say, 3 other companies...say you dont want any of the false discounts, the special deals if you sing tonight, or the 'can I ring my manager b******s...and in return you wont ry and knock them down on the prices

You will just choose the best deal for the most reasonable price...and will be that and if anyone rings up the following days saying they have 'had a word with their manager" (yeh right) and they can do it for...whatever...tell em that will mean an instant 'no'

Is safe seal the company who advertise on telly with that stupid half bald bloke who shouts all the time?...that would put me off straight away!

Slightly off topic. The quality of the finished job is often more important than the initial price. I am referring more to the fitting rather than the product here.

We had our previous house(9 years ago) done by a reputable small firm who did a good and very neat job, we eventually sold and moved on.

We had the current house done by one of the nationals, they were about £1500 cheaper and money was a tad tight. Regretted our choice ever since though. The quality of workmanship is just not there I'm afraid.

With safe****e I had 2 reps come round, one of whom got so agressive when I said I would consider it I ended up telling him to F*** ***, my wife was nearly in tears.

Whoever you use, remember there is always a price to pay if you go to cheap, also consider whether you need lintels and ask if they will fit them.Some wooden windows didn't need them whereas the plastic ones do, I know, I have a crack up the back of the house and the firm as now gone bump. ;)

Just tell them you've got an appointment elsewhere and that they have just under 30 mins to measure up.

Then get your car keys and stand near the door.

joe

dah dah.well here goes.the salesman turned half hour late after waiting at the next door neighbours.when he sat down in the front room he did the usual spiel about the plasma fire and t.v. etc.......he then said he is a straight talking guy and said we could probably do a deal and he will have to get the samples from his car,i politely interupted him and said i just need a quote.he got really really nasty and said "o.k. then £4500"i said don't you want to measure up and l look at the double glazing we already have partially installed.he said it would take 2 hrs to measure up and show the product (that will blow my socks off :confused: )when i showed him what was already fitted i asked for the beading to be bevelled to match what we had and he said they only did straight bevels and i should contact the previous owner and get the same company to fit the windows.he said to my wife that he does not have inflateable windows that he can pump up :rolleyes: at the end of the day we have double glazing so why am i wasting his time.he also said that the daytime tel no. i gave him will be bombarded with calls.mr tosser.he then opened the front door and left without saying goodbye.but for some reason he left the door wide open and with 2 kids and a dog in the house that was well out of order.apparently he was abusive to my new neighbour aswell which did'nt go down to well as we've only been there 7 weeks.i think i threw him a curve ball when i just asked for a quote .SAF**TYLE WINDOWS = SCUM.ABUSIVE.ARROGANT.BULLYING.AND A BIG ATTITUDE PROBLEM WITH POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS.

The first mistake you made here was contacting a national window company. Always stick with your small, local family owned window campanies. I have heard so many stories about Safestyle and Coldseal etc.

The guy who visited your house knows absolutely nothing about windows and doors which is the ONLY reason he refused to do a site measure. He probably wouldn't even know what a tape measure is never mind know how to use one!
A site survey for new windows takes no more than 10 minutes and a quote should never be given until this survey has been carried out.

His job is to sell you finance (not windows) and these people are booted out of peoples houses on an hourly basis (hence his sh!tty attitude).

Fair play, he is only trying to do a job but why try and sell any product if you dont know anything about what you are selling?

Stay well clear of these companies is my advice. I've been in the trade now for too many years. The national companies will always prey on people with no technical knowledge and you will always be able to find a better price elsewhere IMHO.

Call a few local window companies. Check out their credentials and ask how long they've been in business and if they are FENSA registered (make sure you get a 10 years warranty).
Remember - An honest window fitter will not have to work hard to win your trust if he really is genuine.

Also, The survey should be carried out by the window fitter who'll be doing the job and not some brainless muppet in a suit.

I don't agree with that Glassman. I had 2 quotes from big names, both were polite and didn't hassle me and when I took one of the quotes they did a really good job. They are coming back to do a conservatory and that seems to be going ok as well. I would mention their name but the Mods would take it out as advertising

The little local guys were all rude and didnt really seem to know what they were doing

pickles
you work for safestyle as a salesman dont you ? lol..lol...lol...lol :) :)

C'mon then, lets all contact these nice people and arrange some false appointments for them. It would have to be somewhere I could watch though!!

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

lol @ gasmarkone

thats just wrong mate ..lol...lol..lol :) but very funny ..lol

send them round sloggers house ...teehee

Sponsored Links
Back