Oh dear!

• Thread starter Deleted member 174758
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
I think your bestie is hiding from you. What have you done to upset him? Try here

what classifies as Low Voltage here?
As I understand it, the IEC defines "Low Voltage" as less than 1KV AC or less than 1.5KV DC.

But in practice the vast majority of "Low Voltage" utility cables in the UK will be either 230V single ended single phase, or 230V/400V three phase.

Voltage Level Code Voltage Rating
Low Voltage LV up to 1000V
Medium Voltage MV 1000V to 35kV
High Voltage HV 35kV to 230kV
Extra High Voltage above 230kV

Sponsored Links
The drill appears to have suffered blast damage from an "explosion" that occurred as the conductors in the cut cable were shorted together ny the drill bit.

This explosion or more accurately sustained arcing would have continued to burn until the breaker at the substation operated.

A few years ago I worked a mate's home, he had some cash in hand guy around to move/shorten the electricity supply from the middle of the house to a box at the front of the house.

I asked him what would happen if the insulation on the phases were to fail as he bent the old cable. His reply was (from memory) that if the "street box [fuse thingy]" is sufficiently far enough away, the two phases touching would just continue to go "bang, bang, bang".

His reply was (from memory) that if the "street box [fuse thingy]" is sufficiently far enough away, the two phases touching would just continue to go "bang, bang, bang".

They don't have a street box thingy, they are only fused back at the substation, bang, bang, bang would be a continuous massive arc, until that fuse or breaker at the SS dropped out. A very foolhardy man messing with such a cable live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back