can we bury dog in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear,
My mams just been on the phone and her dog has died.
He went in for an operation this morning and she was told to prepare for the worst (cancer) and sure enough, poor old lab wasnt revived as the tumours were too advanced.
Mam was sad because last night he wasnt allowed to have anything to eat because of impending operation.
He has hardly eaten for a week anyway but mam has been giving him tidbits of special human food to try and interest him.
Knowing that he may be 'no more' mam wished that she could have spoiled him in his last hours.
Despite being 'just a pet', mam is very sad.

anyway....

I want to know.. can we bury him in her garden?
Are there rules about that sort of thing?

on a lighter note here... ( I cant say it to my mam just yet but in time she will laugh about it too)

trust it to be blooming weather like this!!!

I am going to struggle to dig hole in the hard ground!
I better not take my dogs as my mother would have a heart attack if they dug old lab up as soon as I have buried him!!

the boys once buried a chicken and the dogs dug it up and were tossing it around.... kids were screaming.. hubby wasnt here and dogs wouldnt listen to me.. :eek:

eventually retrieved manky old chicken and told kids Id buried it down the field but chucked in the wheely bin. :oops:

Sponsored Links
How big is your wheelie bin??

Apologies in advance :oops: :oops: :oops:

:eek: :cry: :cry:

no, its ok!! :LOL: :LOL:

Mams neighbours have a skip on the drive... I suppose if we waited until it was dark....

seriously folks....
I have got a strong young buck on standby, going to pay him to dig hole...

can we bury him in the garden??
there are neighbours so will need to do it right.

I think we can...
sister is going to collect him now (dog) that is!

Sponsored Links
toffee....since im a little further up the road, of course, i cant say from a legal standpoint....but if no one's looking....i say go ahead...

In our house before last we had a cat and about 20 various other small animals buried. When we sold the house we just told the couple who bought it. They said "OK we won't dig there!" no probs.

Two of my mates had dogs buried in their gardens too, no probs!

Has your Mum considered cremation? The vet can usually arrange this for her and then she can have doggies ashes - she can bury those if she wants or scatter them where they had favourite walks.

Not sure where you are Toffee but do a google for pet crematoriums in your area and then you can get an idea of price etc (vets always do it cheaper though).

One of my best mate has a drawer in her bedside table where she has caskets containing the ashes of 3 of her furbabies. It's very sad but also comforting to her.

yes, Ive tried ringing the local council (environmental health) but there is no reply........... I thought that they dealt with all sorts of things, including loud music etc.. so I thought they would have worked weekends?

There is an emergency number but this isnt so...
I have rang the lad and asked him to go get digging.

It wont be a discreet hole as my mam wants him buried in his bed with his blankets and toys and stuff!!!

I m taking the mickey but Im actually sad too.
Pets are wonderful arent they ..

Im thinking about looking for another dog for her but maybe thats something mam needs to decide for herself.

What sort of dog is it Toffee? I am dreading the day I lose my eldest dog, he's my baby and we've been through so much together.

I can imagine how your Mum feels, it's really upsetting and sometimes worse than losing a family member :cry:

[url=http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathNES/environment/animalsandpests/Dogs/Copingwithdeathofdog.htm#FinalRestingPlace]Bath & NE Somerset council [/url] said:
Burial
Your dog's remains can be buried in your own garden or in a pet cemetery.
If you choose to bury your pet's body in your garden, then you should check with your local authority that they have no objections, since deceased pets are classed as clinical waste. The body will have to be buried at least 1.25 m deep and should be well away from ponds, streams, wells, underground pipes and cables. Remember not to bury your pet in a plastic sheet or bag, as this will prevent the natural decaying process. Instead, bury your pet in a towel or his favourite blanket. Home burial is one of the cheapest and most personal ways of disposing of your dog's body, as you have to perform the task yourself. Seeing your dog's grave every day can help you to accept your pet's death more quickly, but may be quite upsetting at first. However, with time, it can be a real comfort to feel that he is close by.
If you would like to have your pet buried at home, but are unable to do so, then an alternative is a pet cemetery. Although the most expensive option, they can offer a complete service, from collecting your pet's body to preparing the grave and performing the burial. They may also sell coffins, memorial stones and some can arrange a simple funeral or memorial service at the time of burial. This is a much more formal way of disposing of your dog's remains than burying in your garden, with the benefit of still being able to visit the grave, even if you move house. The costs of using a pet cemetery vary (£180 - £350) and there may be an annual maintenance charge to pay.

I guess £180-£350 .. Means, 'Get the shovel moving ... Buck !!'
:eek:

Cremation is much, much cheaper Empip. I know that my friend who has her 3 in caskets didn't pay hundreds for them - she couldn't afford it for one thing :cry:

I remember what it was like burying my dad's dog about 7 years ago. Horrible thing to have to do. We buried him behind a wall in my dad's garden, and decided to put a stone flag over the top when we'd filled him in. I was "walking" the flag to put it in situ and felt it go. Stupidly I tried to stop it and squashed my finger inbetween the flag and the wall......ouch. :cry:

It's gonna take some digging to get down to 1.25M, especially with the ground as it is.

Personally I'm gonna cremate mine when he dies for 2 reasons:
1. He's to big to be digging a hole for.
2. My back yard is paved. :rolleyes:

He was a huge big black labrador, the chunky thick set type with huge paws and was nearly eleven years old and had a very loving nature.

(not like my black labrador, he is a taller, narrower build and is a totally different nature)
My others are boxers cross rescue dogs and are daft.

I asked the vet about him disposing of the old boy but they just get them collected by the local knacker yard! :eek:

I am going to owe my pal big style for his hole digging efforts, bless him.
Not sure if he will go to the required depth though!

I suggested a spot under a bush to bury him.
"oh no, my mother exclaims, "I always used to tell him off for cocking his leg up there...we will put him in the spot where he used to lie down in the sun."

soft!!

toffee...i never know what to say when someone/something dies.....but I am thinking of you ....it's very sad. I have more love for my pets than I do people.....that's me. I believe you can tell alot about a person based on their views of animals.....pets mainly. Give your mom what she wants....she sounds a bit like me....and give the old fella a good resting place. ;) :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back