Advice about getting a rescue dog

He seemed quite happy for has to stroke him. What I also found interesting, and maybe means something, is when we walked him I was in front with dog to start with, and he kept stopping to look back at wife and son - I got them to walk in front and he was happier, so seemed he wanted to know where everybody was.

No idea if that means anything, just thought worth mentioning!

Sponsored Links
He wanted to know where his new group /pack was. Had a Corgi cross once that would nip your ankles to keep up if you fell behind the group.

That's good to hear, be £300 might not be too bad. I guess they have to cover the costs of running the place.
This is the youngest dog there, they have some other 3.5, 5, and 6 years old, so hopefully not a dodgy breeding place. But it is in an area that I would consider a bit dodgy - certainly wouldn't want to drive round there at night - next door to a scrap yard / random vehicle sales ...

We have a local wildlife rescue that is run by a young girl who gives it everything she's got. Lives & sleeps in a caravan on site & is the only one I know that ALWAYS answers her phone 24/7, even if she can't help she'll not put the phone down until she's happy that someone is sorted.

I'm told she regularly runs her vet bill up to £10k !

Not all puppy farms are breeders these days, lots of stray & stolen dogs are shipped in from europe. If folk keep paying £1000's for dogs & don't care much about where they came from, then it's a less risky business than dealing drugs etc etc etc . . . .

Sponsored Links
Go for it, man.
I'd have him in a minute if I was looking for a dog.
Any dog could have a problem, no matter where it comes from. There's always a litte something that might need ironing out, it's no big deal.

just because he has been left to go anywhere?
or because it gets harder with older dogs like this?

toilet training is best done from 8 weeks or earlier. At 8 months it will be harder. Ideally you need somebody to be at home all the time initially so you can catch him hopefully each time before doing his business and reward him outside each time he has done it.

He seemed quite happy for has to stroke him. What I also found interesting, and maybe means something, is when we walked him I was in front with dog to start with, and he kept stopping to look back at wife and son - I got them to walk in front and he was happier, so seemed he wanted to know where everybody was.

No idea if that means anything, just thought worth mentioning!

reassurance that his new pack is nearby.

For cheap training treats I buy tripe sticks from Tesco - and cut them into 1/4” pieces.

Puppy training is often done with puffed jerky - dogs really respond to it because it stinks!

Try to resist over treating the dog, a treat needs to be a reward & your dog will soon pick up if they get treated just for lobbing their head to one side & looking cute.

Aldi & Iceland do a 400g tray of meat trimmings for £2, these are fit for human consumption pieces of real cooked chicken, turkey, beef & ham and are ideal for use as treats.

I stay well away from packaged & branded treats as they will soon bankrupt you & often contain real nasty shoite shipped over in bulk from China.

We had four dogs at ours on Christmas day (no, not to eat), all rescues. We had ours and our daughters, and 2 more that had been picked up a day or two before. One was a pup about 6 months old and had not been house trained, though we did keep letting them in the garden so no accidents. He has now been re homed and seems to be OK now, the younger they are the more chance of training them. The other dog we took to her new home on the Isle of Wight, she is doing brilliantly, she's about 2.5 years old. The charity that rehomes them has them checked by a vet, spayed or neutered as needed and will have them chipped, this and all the travelling costs money so they do charge, and as said, is not too bad when you think some people pay thousands. If you get it insured, list it as a mongrel as it should be cheaper.

You don't need to go over the top on treats, mine loves cucumber. Simple, cheap, low calorie, easy.

He wanted to know where his new group /pack was. Had a Corgi cross once that would nip your ankles to keep up if you fell behind the group.
Not always, you can see that behaviour if the dog is nervous because there's someone behind them. Or because there's someone behind them and they're excited and want to play. Or because they saw a squirrel, or squirrel shaped leaf.

I'd be surprised if the dog had come to love JP and family that deeply on the first outing, I'd assume nerves. It should take a week or two for Stockholm syndrome to kick in.

Well done JP for getting a rescue instead of one from a breeder, I hope you eventually manage to sort the indoor pooping problem.

As you have had dogs before I'm sure that you know that whatever the problems the rewards are better :)

It will be nervous for quite a while, as will getting to trust you.
Patience, rinse & repeat...

he looks a beauty, I'm sure he'll reward you with a lifelong friendship for your kindness.

Thank you for picking a rescue dog. Training will be easier if you make it a fun exercise and only use treats as a reward for doing what you are requesting him to. I found, when I had my dog years ago as a pup, he would begin to turn circles when he wanted to do his business. We would take him outside and he soon learnt to go to the door instead of turning circles. Patience and lots of love is the key.
Keep us informed of his progress if you do decide to have him.

Sponsored Links
Back