What's she going to bring home next that she finds on the streets?

In the care home where my friends brother lived there was a lovely nurse called Susan (I'm changing names to protect identities), anyway, my friends brother who is in his 80's happened to mention that Susan was pregnant, that's nice said his brother, give her our best wishes. Then he said 'and I'm the father'. The conversation then drifted away from the subject but before he left, his brother whispered to him 'FFS don't tell the wife about Susan'. That was one of the occasions my friend walked away with a smile on his face. Of course for many it's not like that, the patients can become violent or revert to baby life. Incredibly sad, more so for the families. Give me a massive heart attack any day.
Yes but not right now thanks

Sponsored Links
a terrible illness and not something I'd make light' of, but I think sometimes you have to look at the brighter moments.

Wasn't meaning to make light of. My nan did have 3 husbands, all died long before she did. One thing I'll never forget is driving home with my mum from a visit one weekend and mum just suddenly said, if i get like that, will you just shoot me please?
I didn't respond, i didn't know that to say.

Last edited:
Wasn't meaning to make light of.

I'm sorry, I wasn't suggesting you did, I was referring to my own comments, which made light of it, but weren't intended that way, it's a delicate subject.;

Wendy, out taking the dog for a walk this afternoon, did as suggested and popped round to the address just to see if the old guys wife was still alive and he was OK. She was and he was absolutely fine. She said it was the first time he had gone wandering, but was expected to get worse as the problem progressed. She said she was fast asleep in bed, when the police knocked at the door to return him, he hadn't even been missed. All he could talk about since he got back, was the wonderful dog he played with, whilst we awaited the police to collect him and take him home.

Sponsored Links
My Gran (b.1903) had dementia at the end of her life.

Very distressing as you "lose" the person twice: once to the disease and again when they die.

I used to visit her at the nursing home and she would say things like:

"Do you know, I've done a terrible thing..."

"What's that, Gran?"

"I've left a leg of lamb in the oven and it'll be absolutely ruined."

"Don't worry, I'll ask Mum (b. 1936) to take it out of the oven for you. It'll be fine!"

Luckily, in whatever time period she was revisiting, Mum was old enough to get something hot of of the oven.

Other times, I'd come in to see her and she would say "Well, I don't know who you are, but you look like a very pleasant young man."

This happened a few times and I was always upset at this, not for me but for her. It caught me by surprise because when I started typing this, it started me off crying as I remembered the conversation.

Another time she asked me to help wash the Ruby (Austin) as it got muddy. She mentioned her first husband's name, Harold. He died in hospital in 1948. He had a penicillin allergy and told this to the young nurse. The Matron told the young nurse to give him the drug and when the nurse told her that Harold had mentioned his allergy, the Matron had told her "Nonsense! Give him the penicillin!"

She had just got home from a hospital visit to see him, when the neighbour came out saying "Doris, it's the hospital on the phone...." The Doctor told Gran what had happened and she couldn't believe it. "He can't be dead, I've just seen him sitting up in bed right as rain..."

We set up her own phone in the nursing home, as it was a great comfort for her to talk to various family members.

She would ring me around 2 or 3 most mornings, without a clue what time it was.

One thing I'll never forget is driving home with my mum from a visit one weekend and mum just suddenly said, if i get like that, will you just shoot me please?
I didn't respond, i didn't know that to say.
My Mum said a very similar thing to me.

She also told me her ideal way to go would be where she is on a lovely Summer's walk. The sun would be shining, birds singing and flowers everywhere, with bees buzzing around. She would be climbing over a stile and be dead before she hit the ground on the other side.

Sorry, another tearful moment. Not doing very well today...

Last edited:
Back