What's she going to bring home next that she finds on the streets?

I remember watching Billy Elliot at around the time my nan starting showing signs of dementia. I think right at the start Billy goes to fetch his nan from an allotment or somewhere where she wanders off to. Not sure why I mentioned that now!

I do worry about my future, my nan had some amazing genes - her doctor said she was the fittest and healthiest 80 year old he had ever seen, but her brain failed.
Knowing my luck I'll get the heart from my fathers side and brain from my mothers ...

Sponsored Links
A customer friend mine was in the front garden when a very old and confused looking woman asked her for directions to a village which was about six miles away. The customer persuaded her to stop and have a cup of tea while her husband discreetly phoned the police who came and picked her up, she had apparently been reported missing by her son so they were on the lookout for her.
Whilst drinking tea and chatting, the old girl, who was a dear old thing, told my friend about her time in the war, and how since then she'd had three husbands. 'All dead now' she said, 'all dead now', and then, almost in a panic, she said 'I didn't kill them'.

A customer friend mine was in the front garden when a very old and confused looking woman asked her for directions to a village which was about six miles away. The customer persuaded her to stop and have a cup of tea while her husband discreetly phoned the police who came and picked her up, she had apparently been reported missing by her son so they were on the lookout for her.
Whilst drinking tea and chatting, the old girl, who was a dear old thing, told my friend about her time in the war, and how since then she'd had three husbands. 'All dead now' she said, 'all dead now', and then, almost in a panic, she said 'I didn't kill them'.

:) :)

I had a falling out, or rather he had a falling out with me - of an elderly friend of 40 years. He had bought the same TV as me, couldn't make any sense of using the remote and he rang for help, just expecting me to drop everything in the middle of packing for a holiday to drive over to help him. He had it in mind that he had done me lots of such favours and I was well in his debt, which was untrue - he had simply forgotten all the ones I had done for him.

My father pulled his Opel car engine apart several times, convinced there was something wrong with it, working away, I had popped round each time to rebuild it and get it working perfectly.

Last edited:
I called the police about an erratic wandering man once. I was put through to someone who must have been local. I described the fellow - IC3 (black) huge afro hair, pink tracksuit.

Them "Oh, Jesus"

Me "What??"
Them "Has he told you he's Jesus, yet?"
Me "Ah, you know him"
Them "We'll send someone to take him home".

Sponsored Links
A friend in Germany was woken in the early hours by an elderly lady ringing the door bell. She was looking for Karl who she insisted lived at the address. She got aggressive accusing my friend of preventing Karl from contacting her. Police became involved and then neighbours who remembered a Karl at the address some 40 years previously.

The lady and Karl had been together as teenagers. In her dementia she was that teenager again. She was taken back to her family some 30 km from my friend's house.

I heard a suggestion that coffee helps reduce the chances of suffering the problem, I don't know if it's true or not.

Sounds like my nan!

My first partner (not sufferring any issues) went into a shop in the middle of wilds of Wales, with her three year old g/daughter, whilst on holiday there. Came back out, jumped into passenger and said lets go. I asked - 'have you forgotten something?', she checked she had her handbag, purse etc. and said 'no'. I then pointed out to her that she had gone in with a three year old female. :)

Sounds like my nan!

It's a terrible illness and not something I'd make light' of, but I think sometimes you have to look at the brighter moments. I have a friend who has an older brother in a care home, dying from various ailments, age being one but his dementia is so severe he no longer recognises most people, my friend used to spend a few tearful days after each visit, these days, he walks away with a smile and usually a few outrageous stories. The reality is that his brother died at least a year ago, and left behind a human shell, but somewhere in that shell is a spark of humour and the occasional recollection.

Are people interested in a solution - maybe get micro chipped

I sort of indirectly suggested that, up thread. I personally would have no objection to it and it could be used to solve many problems, where fast ID were needed. There are people already using it for a variety of purposes.

Back to the beginning of this thread, I have suggested to Wendy it might be a good idea to drop in at the old guys address and just see he OK, maybe say hello to his wife, exchange phone numbers, also for Wendy to keep an eye out for him, when walking the dog in the nocturnal hours.

Last edited:
I sort of indirectly suggested that, up thread. I personally would have no objection to it and it could be used to solve many problems, where fast ID were needed. There are people already using it for a variety of purposes.
Sounds great, where do i sign? One day, probably not in my lifetime it might be compulsory :?:

It's a terrible illness and not something I'd make light' of, but I think sometimes you have to look at the brighter moments. I have a friend who has an older brother in a care home, dying from various ailments, age being one but his dementia is so severe he no longer recognises most people, my friend used to spend a few tearful days after each visit, these days, he walks away with a smile and usually a few outrageous stories. The reality is that his brother died at least a year ago, and left behind a human shell, but somewhere in that shell is a spark of humour and the occasional recollection.
We noticed that with my late FIL, one blessing was he did not know how ill he was at the end, he would say he was going for a walk & believe he did, or when the Doc called, " who was that fella what did he want"

We noticed that with my late FIL, one blessing was he did not know how ill he was at the end, he would say he was going for a walk & believe he did, or when the Doc called, " who was that fella what did he want"

In the care home where my friends brother lived there was a lovely nurse called Susan (I'm changing names to protect identities), anyway, my friends brother who is in his 80's happened to mention that Susan was pregnant, that's nice said his brother, give her our best wishes. Then he said 'and I'm the father'. The conversation then drifted away from the subject but before he left, his brother whispered to him 'FFS don't tell the wife about Susan'. That was one of the occasions my friend walked away with a smile on his face. Of course for many it's not like that, the patients can become violent or revert to baby life. Incredibly sad, more so for the families. Give me a massive heart attack any day.

Sponsored Links
Back