Advice about getting a rescue dog

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just looked at a dog, a 9 month old collie rescue.
He was nervous, but calm. Did a nervous wee when he first me us outside. Took for short walk, and he walked well, no pulling, didn't growl or bark when passing the dog pound.
Cam from a home from a woman who had a breakdown. Apparently didn't leave the house for 2-3 months so was pooing and weeing everywhere inside.
Rescuer hinted that woman might have had alcohol problems and might have punished the dog.
Dog's tail look a bit odd to me, whitish and lacking a bit of hair on the end.
Otherwise, seemed a lovely dog. Oh, she said he can be a bit nippy, not with teeth. But was OK with me, wife and son.

My concerns are, is he suddenly going to be different when inside and not on a lead. And it is going to be hard to train him out of the habit of pooing and weeing inside the house.

My wife and I both had dogs as children, but have not had a dog for about 25/30 years now.

Would need to see with moody teenager too (he didn't want to come, said he doesn't like black dogs!) but can't get him without eldest seeing. And its £300, no refund, to bring him home.

Thoughts / advice please.

2a357a_0c1301e1d3c647099d849b4146f0ec93~mv2.jpg

2a357a_7e11e6a96244432d87a34a8d309d9db0~mv2.webp

2a357a_792a5fde5efd441f86b8dd0ffa832509~mv2.webp

Sponsored Links
He'll be fine, don't worry.

Are the rescue insisting that you attend a few dog training sessions? They should & you should keep attending until you feel you can learn no more.

He'll be fine, don't worry.

Are the rescue insisting that you attend a few dog training sessions? They should & you should keep attending until you feel you can learn no more.

They didn't insist, but did suggest going to dog training and recommended a local place.

We never kept out old dog in a crate, but just reading about toilet training older dogs, and suggestion was keeping them in a crate at night until they get used to going outside only. Does that sound a sensible plan?

I'm not sure what breed the dog is but its not a border collie....looks more like a border / lab mix to me

I expect you will know border collie are high energy dogs that are highly intelligent -they need lots of walking. if they get bored they might become destructive

It looks a lovely dog, very healthly coat, looks confident to me but hard to say from still images

Is this from a rescue centre -a rescue centre will have done a full health and temperament assessment.

A dog which has not been trained to have bite inhibition could always be risky -so be aware and assess -you dont want to stand his tail by mistake and get badly bitten

dont forget these days you need to give monthly medication to prevent heart / lung worm -its treated with advocate.

Sponsored Links
They didn't insist, but did suggest going to dog training and recommended a local place.

We never kept out old dog in a crate, but just reading about toilet training older dogs, and suggestion was keeping them in a crate at night until they get used to going outside only. Does that sound a sensible plan?
dogs like crates -I recommend one, they like having their own den.

you might have a hard time toilet training

My house dog has a cage but we NEVER lock her inside it. It is her sanctuary for when she's had enuff of visitors & grandkids etc.

Dogs don't want to soil what they consider 'the den' & the ones that do usually respond quickly to the standard puppy toilet training.

Yeah, give it access to a crate and cover it over (apart from entrance) with a blanket or throw to make it more 'cave like'. Tail could be due to stress chewing because of how it has been treated. £300 seems a bit expensive for a rescue dog to me - is it wormed, inoculated and chipped?

Well done you for considering a rescue dog but remember, you are taking on the responsibility of this animal for the rest of its life and that can come at a considerable cost in time and money.

Yeah, give it access to a crate and cover it over (apart from entrance) with a blanket or throw to make it more 'cave like'. Tail could be due to stress chewing because of how it has been treated. £300 seems a bit expensive for a rescue dog to me - is it wormed, inoculated and chipped?

Well done you for considering a rescue dog but remember, you are taking on the responsibility of this animal for the rest of its life and that can come at a considerable cost in time and money.

Described as neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, pet passport, flead'd and wormed,

What else do we need to do? I feel I need to read up on owning dogs quickly!

Yeah, we understand that responsibility. Might be nice especially when the kids fly the nest. I already go for walks myself, so it will mean I will look less weird if I have a dog to walk. Cost is a concern, but we earn OK and can afford it.

A Black Labrador & a Jack Russel are sat talking at the vets. The Lab asks Jack "so what you in for mate"?

Jack replies "I'm in to be put down mate. See this gorgeous blonde I'm with, well she was getting out the bath & bent over to pick a towel up. I couldn't resist it, I jumped on her back & give her a good seeing to". "What you in for" ?

The Lab says "well, funnily enuff I did exactly the same to this 'ere brunette. Just couldn't resist it, jumped up put me paws on her shoulders & went for it".

"You going to be put down as well then"?

"No mate, I'm here to get me nails cut".

Badoom, tish.

£300 seems a bit expensive for a rescue dog to me - is it wormed, inoculated and chipped?

£200-£300 seems about right for a rescue.

I chat with owners who've paid £1000+. I hate to, but I point out that a lot of the lower rung puppy farms are now renamed 'rescue' to bypass regulations.

Cost is a concern, but we earn OK and can afford it.

I don't insure any of my animals, if they "that ill" then I take the attitude that it might be kinder to euthanase.

Try to locate a local vets that is still truly independant & owned by it's partners. Vet practices are increasingly being bought up by corporates whose first question seems to be "is the animal insured", with the cost & extent of the treatment adjusted accordingly.

£200-£300 seems about right for a rescue.

I chat with owners who've paid £1000+. I hate to, but I point out that a lot of the lower rung puppy farms are now renamed 'rescue' to bypass regulations.

That's good to hear, be £300 might not be too bad. I guess they have to cover the costs of running the place.
This is the youngest dog there, they have some other 3.5, 5, and 6 years old, so hopefully not a dodgy breeding place. But it is in an area that I would consider a bit dodgy - certainly wouldn't want to drive round there at night - next door to a scrap yard / random vehicle sales ...

just because he has been left to go anywhere?
or because it gets harder with older dogs like this?

The only dogs I know to be impossible to house train are the true feral dogs, like the one I semi-adopted when I spent time in India. Never could get a tummy rub or stop it ****ting & ****ing everywhere . . . . .

I would agree that it looks more of a collie cross which isnt a bad thing as a pure collie is very intelligent and I wouldnt want a dog brighter than me! :D
Be prepared for a home visit to check the garden is secure, no loose wall sockets on walls etc. May sound daft but sister used to do home visits and some were ill prepared to say the least. :(

Sponsored Links
Back