Introducing a dog to a newborn baby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the 1st of Feb I became a dad for the first time to a beautiful daughter :cool:

Now I know there are a few dog owners on here so thought i'd ask how you went about introducing them to a new person. Our dog Max is a one year old chocolate Labrador. Obviously as daft and soft as a brush but nevertheless he's still an animal.

We've got our own ideas including an item of her clothing placed on his rug so he gets used to the smell before we introduce him. He hasn't been introduced yet as he is still at my parents, coming back tomorrow. :)

It would be good to know how you did it, I know GD can be quite opinionated so it would be good to hear from people who've done it and not someone that doesn't own a dog who wants to start a 3 page thread about dangerous dogs and kids!!

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter MW. I hope Mrs MW and baby are both doing well.

Sorry, I cannot help with the doggy bit though!

Congratulations on your new addition!

What you suggested is exactly what we done, with the same breed of dog, although our dog was about 3 years old at the time.

We put a shawl with the dogs blanket and introduced the baby and dog as soon as possible. You must also try and involve the dog in lots of baby activities if you can, I dont mean bathing them together :LOL:

It went very smoothly for us, our daughter is 4 now and the dog is so protective over her!

Remember though, a dog is still an animal!

Good luck!

I'm told that if the dog is neglected, and sees the baby getting all the attention and affection he used to get, he is likely to become jealous, or at least depressed and badly behaved.

Not that I know, but I read that when mum comes home for the first time since the birth, she should
:eek: leave the baby outside :eek: and come in and greet the dog, once it has calmed down, go and fetch the baby in.

Bit ches will often recognise the baby as a new pup of the family, and will mother it and try to keep it safe.

Sponsored Links
hi many congrats, when my son was born last year we did what johnd did and let my wife go in and make a fuss of the dog 1st then i came in with the baby, and put him on the floor and allowed the dog to have a good smell, now the dog is proctective of my son, anotherthing is to not make the dog feel excluded from the "pack"

Drew

Congrats on your new addition. Too late for you now but with both my kids I took the dog in the car when I collected wife and baby from the hospital. The dog was allowed to sniff the baby and from then on woe betide anyone who who might harm his friend.

Our dog loves babies, but he can't manage a whole one. ;) ;)

Nah seriously though, there has been some great advice on here.
One thing to watch out for, is when baby grows up a bit and starts toddling. They think it's great fun to chase and pull the dog etc. Some dog's are very placid and will probably just try and get out of the way as much as they can, but occasionally you may get one dog that will suddenly snap, (usually with a sharp nip or sometimes worse)
You know your dog and should be able to tell how much leeway he'll allow the baby once she's older. ;) ;)

PS, the only thing our dog hates is our budgie. As I type, he's sat on the floor staring intently at the bird's cage. No matter how I've tried to introduce these two, he seems hell bent on getting that budgie between his teeth. ;) ;)

Congrats MW on your new arrival.

When I had my JR all I did was bring my kids home in the car seat and put it in the middle of the floor for her to sniff around, with both of my kids she just had a quick look and sniff and then lay down beside the seat whilst they slept.

When out with her she walked beside the pram and if anyone came to look she sat down and eyed them up, I have pictures of her laying asleep under the blanket with the kids from when they were a few months old.

She never ever thought about harming them and even growled at the brother in law when he got too close once!!

When I was married she would get up and walk away when my step daughter tried to play fight with her, something she would only ever do with me. However if anyone came in wearing a high vis vest or I told her to 'tell them off' she would go beserk...... :p

I Lost her 4 yrs ago but both kids remember her and know she was part of the family.

The best thing is to be calm yourself and probably let the dog find the little one, I know labs can be excitable so its best to be on hand but try not to exclude the dog, nice walks all together and cuddles should do the trick.

Good luck.

On the 1st of Feb I became a dad for the first time to a beautiful daughter :cool:
Hoorah!

Dogs can be replaced a child can not.

not helpful m8 :eek: ,i think the op is being totally spot on with his concerns hence why he has asked for opinions.

some great advice has been offered and im glad some mentioned the fact of neglecting the dog over the baby,
our old gsd was an absolute GEM,she had 2 babies climb over her and try and ride her like a horse,but i would NEVER EVER of trusted her 100%.

we too used a piece of clothing/blanket at 1st,then we allowed the dog to sniff the baby,
remember the dog will feel like its been pushed aside,so when you come in make as much fuss over the dog aswell as your baby.
when taking your baby out for a walk,take the dog let the dog be part of everything,well as much as you can.

oh and ENJOY THE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS :rolleyes:

As gregers says, enjoy the sleepless nights.
I got my first wife to breastfeed our daughters when they were babies.

Hardly any sleepless nights for me. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Congratulations MW & Mrs MW.
Some good advice on here and I can't add to it except we did the clothing thing with our staff bi tch and new grandson about 9 months ago. Now when he comes round with the other kids she simply goes to each one wagging her tail till they say hello to her and then goes away and does her own thing.

Obviously, due to recent cases, NEVER leave a newborne, with a dog, or any animal, which will happen, at some stage, I hate dogs, and babies, so obviously have hate. But all the best.

Sponsored Links
Back