Oh no is this a cowboy roofer?

Oops sorry yes it was Datarebal who suggested arranging the new tiles together vertically, thank you :)

So this is how things went (in answer to DAZB's Q about prices):
1. Initially got him in with the water leaking from the soffit on the outhouse. The old felt wasn’t nicely overlapping into the gutter as it was slightly short and had fallen ‘behind’ the eaves. So we addressed the following things: installed eave protection trays, replace rotted battens in first row of tiles. At the same time he redid the gutters and two leaky downpipes on that outhouse. He also installed a black fascia on the wooden eaves to protect it from rotting. Length was about 10 meters. Total £2600.
(In addition to all this he did some work in the main house for missing roof tiles and reducing&repointing two small chimney stacks, fix 3 leaky gutter joins and replace a leaky downpipe = £2200.
He also repointed the ridge tiles on the main house about 40 of them = £2200.
Installed eave protection trays on 3 sides of the main house =£750.
“Re-cotton” of the mineral felt flat roof on my extension=£750)

2. Then it rained that weekend and I realised water was STILL leaking from the soffit on the out house. So the eaves protection trays in point 1 hadn’t worked to solve the leak and it was clear that water was somehow getting under the felt somehow. He lifted a tile on the 10th row and said
yeah I can see water on the felt. I can refelt and rebatten the last three rows of tiles for £4200.”
And I said:
But if you’re seeing water under the tile on the 10th row up surely just replacing the felt on the first 3 rows isn’t enough? What if it’s getting under the felt above the third row somewhere? And if it IS then I’d have wasted £4200 getting just the first three rows done. Another roofer has given me a quote of £7K to do a whole entire new mineral felt roof on a new plywood base and maybe I should just do that and forget tiles completely. Because ideally water shouldn’t be reaching the felt at all, right?
He then came back and said there was probably a tear in the felt somewhere so he would refelt, rebatten, replace any broken tiles for the whole outhouse roof for the £4200. I told him to go ahead with this. I told him that when he had lifted the old tiles&battens&felt that if he thought there was any opportunity to do work to help level the roof better then we should look into doing it at extra cost to me. During the process he found the dropped joist I mentioned and that was the £750 extra to lift and bolt into place. I felt it was expensive just for one bolt but I’d come this far and didn’t want him to reroof over a loose joist! This is the re-roof that we are talking about where he’s used replacement tiles that seem to be too big.

For info here are some other repairs he also did around the property:
3. He redid the repointing on the lead flashing where my extension flat roof joins the main house using something called “CT1” at “£20 a tube”. Also fixed some loose lifted mineral felt. Added a gutter downpipe to help the extension gutters drain better . =£2300.

4. Inside the outhouse there were some very big vertical cracks in the plaster in several places. He said he had to “grind out and add pins to pull together”. Also repointing around the two doorways and thresholds on the outhouse. =£3600.

5. I have a single brick built single garage with an apex tiled roof. So he replaced missing 20 roof tiles, repointed the ridge tiles, replaced old broken metal gutter and down pipe on one side with new plastic ones. Installed black fascia on one side. Said he was going to install some lead in the bottom corner to prevent water ingress but looks like he’s just used flashband instead. What I said “I thought you were going to use lead?” He said “I’ve used something more expensive than lead, it has a bitumen backing so it will last longer than lead”. But it still looks like flashband to me! =£4600

It was after all this I climbed on the outhouse roof and noticed the tiles weren’t interlocking and the overhang which meant I wasn't happy with the outcome from the work done in point 2 (the £4200+£750 work).

He was about to start a £9K piece of work to repoint around my main house brick. But I felt it was too much and after seeing everyone’s reaction to this post I put a halt to it and started to question him more about why the outhouse tiles weren’t interlocking properly.

He's angry at me now for suggesting the outhouse roof problems are due to him using a larger tile size. He’s picked up his ladders while I was at work today and removed his business board from the front of my house.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I recently did a roofing job and had a the same problem.

The new tiles were larger than the old ones, so when laying them, they wouldn't fit.

The old tiles may have been imperial and the new ones metric.

Besides the above, i find that manufacturers keep changing the sizes of tiles, which is annoying as it makes remedial work a PITA.

Sponsored Links
He's angry at me now for suggesting the outhouse roof problems are due to him using a larger tile size. He’s picked up his ladders while I was at work today and removed his business board from the front of my house.

All of that post, reads as if you have been deliberately targetted by a cowboy - sorry. Do not pay him any more money.

Get in touch with your council's trading standards/consumer protection team.

Do that, and quickly.

Data.. they can't be majors if they are only 9" wide, but yes I agree it looks about 20°

The room in the outhouse has a depth of 3.6m. The ceiling angle follows the joists above it. The height of the room is 2.5m at the front and 3m at the back. So my online calculator gives it a pitch of about 8 degrees.
Oh crap. The roof angle was never built steep enough to cope with tiles was it? That’s why water must have been getting to the felt in the first place.

Data.. they can't be majors if they are only 9" wide, but yes I agree it looks about 20°
just testing.. didnt look closely enough, marley ludlow plus original and redland 49 newer.. that makes my theory even more likely. the ludlow plus are straight top to bottom , 49 have a slight curve...

Those tiles probably need about 25°
He said these were the new ones he bought:

https://www.roofingoutlet.co.uk/pro...8645831__b2484fa2-6dbd-451f-b469-521ff93731ba
051A0E1A-6FAB-4CB8-BF1C-F256E38AA584.png

Of course when he told me how much he paid for them I showed him that website and he said “you can’t trust those websites they end up supplying cheap knock off equivalents”

I’ve been telling him over and over that the waviness and overhang and the interlocking issue is because he’s used the slightly larger new tiles to create the entire first couple of rows as well as using then in a big area of the on the left at the front. First he said the problem was with the building having unlevel joists to begin with. (Even though he charged me £750 to lift and bolt a joist during his attempt at reroofing. )

When I pointed out the original roof had no issues with interlock/waviness/overhang he finally changed his mind and said if we reroof the whole thing again with all new tiles only then the problem will be solved.

So much for my unlevel joists then causing the issue!

600 new tiles. (He said this is £2.5K just for supply even though when I look on the web it is only £1.2K including delivery for Farmhouse Red tiles. )
Van for disposal.
Lift old.
Replace with new.

Total= “normally I do it for £10K but I will discount it to £7K if you also go ahead with the £9K repointing work. “

I don’t mind paying for the new tiles and disposal but I feel like he’s charging me AGAIN to lift and relay the tiles which I’ve ALREADY paid for once and only having to do again because of his mistake. He’s like “your tiles aren’t available anymore “ etc…. But surely a good roofer should have pointed this out before starting the original reroof?

I’m so depressed man I could actually top myself now.

Last edited:
I would be tempted to contact the Trading Standards or even the police as he is purposely lying and trying to defraud you into spending more money and using the leverage of a lower price on the repointing to make you pay twice for the same job of reroofing a building which he himself has done badly wrong. Don't get depressed, get help and put a stop to his antics asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back