oh no not again!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes its that time again,i go away for a holiday and my long suffering neighbours say upon my return "your alarms been going off" oh i reply ,when " just the once on saturday night at two in the morning", can anyone shed any light as to what i can do short of either not setting it (too risky) or riving it all out and fitting a much more up to date system ,its an omnicron 7000 and im at a bit of a loss as to what to do next,if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it as i am a bit worried i will really get it from them next door if it goes off again

Sponsored Links
yes . buy a vapona fly killer (the solid one) break it open, cut it into small squares and stick a bit UNDER each detector you have with blue tac (wash your hands afterwards)

The idea is that as it gives off a vapor flys and spiders will not walk / fly over your detectors setting them off . This is not a joke it really does work.

The other thing is to make sure all your windows are shut (i mean shut not ajar) take any birthday cards or any thing else you have "stuck" on the wall down and make sure any thing sitting on a table is lying flat (the idea being so it can not fall down)

You could also give a friendly neighbour a key and show them how it works(that is not just how to turn it off but show them what is where, and what number / light on your alarm apertaines to what detector so if it does go off they can come over and look in that specific area rather than have a quick look round the whole house and say they found no break in. they can then curse you for not staking that pile of newspapers properly that has fallen over)

One other thing if you have a cat /cat flap but no cat, make sure it too is locked shut, I have been told of cats coming in and setting off the alarm.

what a clever idea ! im convinced its down to either a fly or most probably a spider as they seem to thrive on me slinging them out only for them to come back and prowl aroud the coving ,the alarm has never gone off in the short term only when we,ve been gone for a few days (at least)i,ll get straight on with your suggestion any idea how long the vapona pieces last or is it best to put a fresh piece on just before you go away? thanks again for taking the trouble to reply

Sponsored Links
its a while since i changed mine, it does say on the vapna how long it lasts for

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back