Oh what to do with all this insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're moving into a 60s bungalow (sorry, single-story ranch style dwelling) and have some serious issues with the Artex ceilings... the sort of issues that also start with a capital letter 'A' and involve men wearing boiler suits and well-fitting masks.

As I understand it the chances of this lovely swirly A-infested material being removed from the ceiling boards without the boards themselves being damaged and coming down are pretty slim. Which presents us with more problems, as there is 40cm of insulation across the entire loft space. And it's a BIG loft space.

What on earth do I do with all this insulation, given that most - if not all - the ceiling boards will be coming down? Do I try to roll it back up, get it down the loft ladder and store it in the garage? Or do I leave it in situ and just find a way to stop it falling through? (Maybe by putting down temporary boards in the lost and stacking it up there.) If I leave it in the loft isn't there a chance of it picking up loads of dust caused by the ceiling removal?

Unfortunately there isn't much head room up there, and I've damaged both my shoulders, so I want to make the correct decision first time!

Incidentally, leaving the Artex where it is and working with it safely isn't much of an option, as the house needs serious updating: we need to re-jig some internal walls (the non-supporting ones hopefully) and replace all the lighting. So we've decided to bite the bullet and get the bl**dy stuff removed completely.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really am not looking forward to spending a day in the 90-degree heat of this loft space, surrounded by such joyous materials... let's face it, even the insulation isn't much fun to work with.

Thanks.

K

Sponsored Links
Look which way it's been run.

Normally, assuming you have the common glass fibre insulation, the first layer is rolled out between the joists - then the next layer(s) are rolled out across the joists. The first layer will probably fall down with the boards, the rest will simply hang there draped across the joists - except perhaps at the ends.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies... very different though they were!

I hesitated coming back on this as it looks like we're going to lose the house anyway. The delights of the UK housing market!

Still, at least I can stop wording about the logistics of handling one millions square metres of lost insulation :unsure:

K

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back