Oil based primer on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to paint a newly plastered wall which the client has already painted with a coat of Homebase All Purpose Interior primer (oil based). I intend to do two coats of vinyl matt on top of this. I was told that you would get saponification if you apply an oil based coat on an alkaline surface, however on the front of the tin it says "for interior and exterior bare wood, metal, plaster and brick". Surely you would need an alkali resisting system.

PS Good to see you back on here Nestor, just like old times.

Sponsored Links
What a strange sitiuation cocoot.? Usually alkali resisting primer is put on bare plaster for solvent based finishes eg old eggshell/ gloss . TBH i dont know what the oil based primer is, does it say alkali resistng? anyhow im gusssing matt emulsion will be ok. But wait to see what others say.

there is nothing on the tin to suggest any alkali resisting properties. That is what has confused me (doesn't take much these days), if this is an oil based system, how can it be recommended for bare plaster?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back