Oil boiler - black smoke from flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title really. Smoke pouring out of top of flue. Also an 'oily' smell in house every time boiler comes on.

It's been recently serviced (OFTEC guy) but just wondered what could cause this?

He's coming back but I'm hoping he won't be charging again as it must be a service-related issue....?

Sponsored Links
It's pouring out black smoke, it's really not very well.

Did he change the nozzle?

And how long ago was it serviced?

Having the boiler serviced doesn't mean it can't go faulty, the guy servicing it can only comment on it's condition the day he's there, it's unfortunate when something does go wrong soon after a service but not necessarily the fault of whoever serviced it.
as it must be a service-related issue
See what he says when he returns, but bear in mind it doesn't have to be...

As an Engineer that services up to 25 oil boilers a week, I can tell you that no matter how well a service is done this kind of thing can happen occasionaly

My company have a 30 day workmanship guarantee to cover these sort of problems (this is separate from parts guarantees) it is my guess that the oil nozzle that was changed as routine has probably gone faulty which can happen on rare occasions

As long as you do not go into one with your service co they will treat you very fairly as most companies are prepared for these kind of recalls

P.S. Turn the boiler off if you have not already done so, this will make the cleaning out of the soot much easier and less messy! ;)

Sponsored Links
It's pouring out black smoke, it's really not very well.

Did he change the nozzle?

And how long ago was it serviced?
Thanks everyone.
Don't know about the nozzle, only comment he made was about the flexible section of supply pipe that he though should be replaced next time.

Service was 8 days ago. Started noticing the smell a couple of days after that. Only noticed the black smoke today (but this weather I haven't been in the garden much.......!)

So best not to use it till he's been?

If possible, no.

Soot is horrible and gets everywhere and stains.

Your man won't be very happy if all he had to do was change the nozzle and now....because it was used, he has to remove a whole ton of soot!

Many thanks all.

Technician came and said the pump pressure had increased. No known/obvious reason.

Working fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back