Oil boiler central heating & hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a mobile home, which has an oil boiler.

I am having trouble keeping the system working, it cuts out at 23deg.

I am planning to move the boiler outside and have already repositioned the fuel tank, but want to get the thing running properly before i move the boiler.

The system has a hot water tank. and the control box is bolted tio the underside, it has 2 switches and a 2 dig display.

Turn on the main power and the control box clicks a bit, and then the system fires, (sometimes i have to give the control box a knock to get the boiler to fire)

it gets to 23 deg and then cuts the boiler but the pump still goes on untill the control box shows error 6L.

I have replaced the imersion element on the tank with a new one.

The system does hot water and heating, i have also checked the thermo and digital control setting in the kitchen panel.

I think the control box might need replacing?

Sponsored Links
Where are you measuring 23c?
What make and model of boiler is it?
What make and model is the 'thermo' control in the kitchen?

Hello

I am asuming its 23 deg, when the boiler worked the cut off was in the 70's

Not sure on the make etc, am there this weekend so will take some pics and get the info.

Thanks for getting back to me

Hello,

I took some pics at the weekend.

The Boiler is a MYSON

The last pic shows the error message when you initilise the system,
Error code MA, if you tap the bottom of the controller box the system fires up and runs untill 23 deg then cuts the boiler, the pump still runs for a bit then i get a error of 6L.

The boiler itself has had all new parts internaly about 3 years ago, the boiler also has not been run in properly for about 8 months.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I were you, I,d rip it out and start again, its passed its sell by date.

That Boiler is not suitable for external use. Get yourself a Grant External Combi Boiler and do away with that carp you've got.

It was my dads old place, and i am going to sell it when finished so not trying to spend shed loads of cash, spent enough already.

I have a large metal box for it to sit in outside with fireproofing.

just would like to know why it stops at 23 deg, if i fire it up from ambient 15 deg it stops at 23 and if i refire when it drops to 20 deg its still stops at 23.

I do think its the controller box under the tank thats the problem, as you do have to tap it to get the boiler to fire up.

if it is, its probaly better to replace the control units and the thermostat?

I don't think you'll sell a place with a dikky boiler put a new one in it's a good selling point or you'll have to knock a fare it off if you sell with a dogey boiler by the way if you tell people the boilers ok and it's not you can be in trouble

Its a mobile home, the value its worth wouldnot be enough to pay for a new boiler plus all the cash i have already spent.
Plus the internals of the boiler were replaced 4 years ago. plus it fires up fine and warms the water a bit untill it cuts off @ 23.
trying to keep the cost down as much as i can.

If i had to replace the controllers what ones would you recomend?

does anyone reconise the controller box under the tank, who is it made by?
i can check the error codes then
it dont have any manufacture tags on it

Remove the control unit completely and replace with a time switch and thermostats for room and cylinder.

Cheers Mr Oilhead

i have been on the screwfix & toolstations sites, its a bit confusing what to pick, can you post me a link of the type i would need.

I am confident on the pipework side, have fixed enough leaks and replaced pipes etc, when it comes to the the electrics of plumming i am a novice.

There are only 4 rads in the entire place as its a mobile home so would assume its all on one pipe ring. the 2 pumps below the tank also asume one for hot water and 1 for heating.

cheers

I dont have specific links, and you may need something like a relay box to switch the pumps separately without backfeeding the dormant one.
Alternatively, convert to Y plan and use only one pump. There are many generic plans for this such as Honeywell or Danfoss Randall available on the net.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back