oil boiler cycles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long should an oil boiler be cycling for on an off for, and like how long should it be stoped in between cycles and how long should it be running for to be running efficiently. (not to be underfiring and not to be overfiring). ANY :idea:s

Sponsored Links
Your system design and boiler output size selection/setting will determine this. If it's oversized it will cycle, undersized will work away and struggle to reach temperature. Haven't really counted but I suppose it can fire a few times per hour once heated.

The boiler can't tell the difference it only operates on demand on its control stat.

Once my boiler has reached temp it cycles once every 10 to 15mins for bout two mins to top up temp does this sound about rite, my boiler has just being serviced.

Once my boiler has reached temp it cycles once every 10 to 15mins for bout two mins to top up temp does this sound about rite, my boiler has just being serviced.

Can't tell without flow/return temperatures, pump condition etc, but doesn't sound that bad. A proper service should improve heat transfer to the water jacket but shouldn't make any noticeable change to circulation.

However check that thermostat phials are fully inserted in their pockets and control stat is near maximum or 75-80 C setting.

Sponsored Links
My oil boiler stat is set at 60 degrees is that ok or what should the desired temp be set too. my stat goes from 0 to 90 degrees

My oil boiler stat is set at 60 degrees is that ok or what should the desired temp be set too. my stat goes from 0 to 90 degrees

80. New condensing models s/be 70. 65 can be used for summer HW only setting (especially with gravity HW). 60 is too low in any event.

My boiler is a standard efficiency boiler so 80 degrees is what it should be set at and 70 degrees if its a condencing boiler. why not 60 degrees? I find it hot enough at 60 degrees will not setting it to 80 degrees use a lot more oil thus more expensive :?:

My boiler is a standard efficiency boiler so 80 degrees is what it should be set at and 70 degrees if its a condencing boiler. why not 60 degrees? I find it hot enough at 60 degrees will not setting it to 80 degrees use a lot more oil thus more expensive :?:

If you doubt the advice given then leave it at 60.

The optimum recommended temperature for an open vented system is 82c, being the highest temperature that water will reach without boiling/cavitating at the circulator inlet. However, if you're happy, run it lower, but be aware, if the return comes in too cool, then you will get condensation round the return port which in time will corrode and fail prematurely.

Sorry got that bit wrong once my boiler has reached temp it stops for 7mins and then cycles for 3mins tops up temp and turns off for another 7mins and then repeats cycle for another 3mins and so on, Is this running rite or is this inefficient, my oil boiler was just serviced and set up properly, FGA, smoke pump, oil pressure gauge ect. House is about 18 years old tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back