Oil Boiler 'Lock Out' Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Thermecon oil boiler which for the most part has been trouble free. I've only had it professionally serviced once and I figured that anyone can sweep and vacuum out the fire box and change the jet! So for the past 12 years thats been fine. This year in addition to the jet I changed the Blast tube as well. I ought to say here that the reason for even looking at the boiler and subsequently changing both jet and blast tube is that the 'Lock out' light had come on. Assuming the thorough cleaning etc. would cure it, it came as rather a suprise when after 2/3 hours the 'lock out' light came. It wouldn't immediately re-ignite but after 2 hours it ran for a further hour before locking out. Anybody out there that knows why, I'd be glad to hear from them.
Many thanks, Stebbo

Sponsored Links
You have been wasting your money changing the "jet". Depending on which one you use, they have a tolerance of up to 15% for any one size so the combustion should have been checked and adjusted. How do you know the nozzle was a good one anyway? There is obviously something wrong as you have had to change the blast tube.

As for locking out, with the money you have saved, why not get someone round with a van load of bits? It could be one of five or six faults that will cause the lockout, one of which is incorrect adjustment.

Thanks Oilman

The jets are definitely correct. I was given a box full by Mr. Boulter the manufacturer. Unfortunately I've lost touch with him now and no longer have a friendly 'helpful' heating engineer to consult! So I guess you're right , the time has come, I need a man with a van load of bits.

Regards Stebbo

You have been very lucky so far .... Yes anyone can vacuum out a boiler there is actually a bit more to it than just that.

As oilman said you have wasted a lot of nozzles and actually by fitting a nozzle and not checking the combustion you can cause more harm than good.At the very least you could have been running your boiler very inefficiently for the last twelve years and wasted the money you think you have saved by not having it serviced regularly. I would guess you needed to replace the flame tube becuase the boiler had far too much air in the mixture..... even a 10% tolerance could give you a reduction of fuel by 20 % so if no adjustment is made to the air or oil pressure....he presto too much air....

As oilman says get an Engineer with all the bits...AND A GAS ANALYSER... if you don't know one you can go to OFTEC and ask for a list of engineers in your postcode... or as many of us very good engineers are not registered try asking a nieghbour or contacting someone like Anglian Heating Components (who supply loads of Engineers in Norfolk) for a recomendation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. You've made the best case yet. I know you're right and after all the comments received I feel I ought to contact a professional. Thanks once again guys.

Regards Stebbo

To add a bit to grib's post, just because we ARE oftec registered doesn't mean we are any good.

I'll be totally honest and admit that's what worries me. I know a lot of people from all walks of life who have all sorts of qualifications and hate their jobs. I want someone who enjoys his (hers), to just do a good honest job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back