oil boiler photocell problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wonky photocell on my elderly Myson Velaire oil boiler.

The photocell is now obsolete, without a direct replacement. However, the control box does have a direct replacement and a compatible photocell.

Should I try the new control box and photocell, or, as my boiler man says, replace the entire burner unit?

The output efficiency is about 90%, so I don't want to throw out the entire boiler - however, I am not happy about spending £500 on replacing part of a very elderly boiler, when it may pack in entirely sometime soon.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd go for a new photocell and compatible control box - if that is definitely the problem and everything else is ok.
John :)

What photocell is to be replaced? If it is a Danfoss LD, then The current danfoss LDS usually works with the old BHO box. If you need an LD, then contact me through the forum, I have some unused.

Thanks, guys.

The photocell is a Satronic, and I have checked with Satronic Honeywell that it is obsolete and has no direct replacement. Its successor requires a different control box for compatibility.

Sponsored Links
Presumably you have a satronic TF801 or 802 box which used a FZ cell. 1st try is a MZ cell, there are plenty of burners with this combination running. If it is too sensitive and picks up the spark, just turn it 90 degrees.

Oilhead, old chap, that's one hell of a box you have there. Yes, it is an FZ711 photocell, and I would love to have it, if that is possible. My e-mail is [email protected]

The FZ that I have has a lead that is moulded onto the cell. Is yours the same?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back