Oil Boiler reccommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After much debating and diliberating we have decided on getting oil central heating to replace our storage heaters but I havent got a clue what boiler to get. I have had a look on which and I think a combi boiler will suit? But I have no idea what power I will need....

Two of us live in a 3 bedroom semi... We hardly use any hot water.. just for washing up in the evening really as we have an electric shower. A couple of kids hopefully in a few years so best plan ahead :)

Any suggestions? Im Looking for one reasonably priced but reliable, efficent etc :)

Sponsored Links
I think without a doubt, the Grant boiler is the best around.....mention the name when you discuss your requirements with your installer, and see if he agrees!
John :)

Great ill ask him.

What sort of quotes should I be looking for? Its a 3 bedroom semi. Looking for the following

Dining room small radiator
Conservatory small radiator
Main bed large radiator
Spare bed large radiator
Spare bed small radiator
Downstairs hall small radiator

The boiler would be located in the cupboard in the hallway i the middle of the house, dead central to all rooms really and the radiators can go on the nearest wall.

I know it wont be accuarate but a rough idea would be fantastic

I'm not the right person to ask here, but you'll need a few quotes - naturally.
There's lots of factors involved, regarding pipe runs, site for the boiler (flue arrangements) and tank etc so even a ball park figure is out.
Your installer will need to choose the correct boiler output for your needs, be it combi or otherwise - and it can be fitted either externally or in the house.
Can you ask around the local area for any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to disagree John, but I'd recommend a Firebird. We've had loads of Grant leakers.

Also, if you're thinking of have kids I'd avoid a oil combi, go for a standard condensing oil boiler & an unvented HW cylinder. That'd be a much better long term plan.
HTH

Thats interesting - maybe Grant are going down the same route as WB :eek:
Where were they leaking from?

Thats interesting - maybe Grant are going down the same route as WB :eek:
Where were they leaking from?

Take no notice of Puller,hes been spouting Firebirds for years.

Nothing wrong with Grant boilers, fitted several and no probs.

funny as firebirds have been rotted out due to poor condense syphon locations. see quite a lot of grants. new and old. ok they have there flaws. but a good all rounder. i would say, stay well away from wb greenstar range. and a complete farce to service. note to worcester bosch designers. you cant even design a simple oil boiler without fecking it up. needless to say your gas boilers are **** to work on. and overpriced.

We like WB oilers.

And get a 7 year warranty at the moment.

Have a significant installed base of Grant and Worcester oilers, and while I have to agree what a pain they are to service etc, the Worcesters have been a bit more reliable.

Which is surprising, because they don't 'look' like they'd be more reliable.

funny as firebirds have been rotted out due to poor condense syphon locations. see quite a lot of grants. new and old. ok they have there flaws. but a good all rounder. i would say, stay well away from wb greenstar range. and a complete farce to service. note to worcester bosch designers. you cant even design a simple oil boiler without f*****g it up. needless to say your gas boilers are s**t to work on. and overpriced.

Never ever had that problem with a Firebird mate, but most we come across we have installed & serviced. So they're installed & commissioned correctly.

As for the Grants most were leaks at the weld, and recent ones were poor commissioning with incorrect F&R ΔT. Installed by clueless CC/CCCs.

Never ever had that problem with a Firebird mate, but most we come across we have installed & serviced. So they're installed & commissioned correctly.

As for the Grants most were leaks at the weld, and recent ones were poor commissioning with incorrect F&R ΔT. Installed by clueless CC/CCCs.

interesting. still toying with the idea of a firebird. do like the idea of the condense pump. most common jacket i see leak is the wb heatslaves. rarely come across leaky grant ones. cant beat the old trianco redfyre. still see some knocking about. 3-40+ year old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back