Oil Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an oil-fired boiler system, which is now roughly 15 years old, and the service engineer (yes, I have it serviced annually) tells me the boiler is likely to peg out sooner rather than later (ancient model, parts out of stock etc etc).

It's a single pipe system, with a balanced flue and the boiler is floor-standing, installed in the garage (attached to the house).

Am I likely to be able to have a (relatively) simple "old one out, new one in" type replacement, or am I looking at major re-engineering with tremendous ballache and total disruption to my newly finished fitted kitchen?

Sponsored Links
Well it could peg out sooner rather than later, but whatever does a statement like that mean? It has been going 15 years, it might last six months (but you could have said that 5 years ago and you would be proved wrong) and it could last another 10 years. Getting the spares is normally possible by using alternatives. If the burner dies big-time, then just replace the burner. Either you have misinterpreted your man's meaning, or he is trying to drum up business. If you WANT a new boiler, fair enough, it's your money but unless it's leaking water it doesn't need replacing. When it does leak water you'll be happier about spending the money.

Send me a message if you want a second-hand boiler oil boiler! I'm doing a job near Cambridge which is replacing an oil boiler with LPG. The oil condensing boiler is a geminox and I think it must have cost a packet. It was only installed about 4 years ago. Its about the size of a washing machine! It was working ok too before I disconnected it.

I was going to stick it on ebay but if someone wants to make an offer and collect it I would be happy to get rid of it. Theres also an unvented cylinder which you can have too. I can email a pic of the setup.

Sponsored Links
...........replacing an oil boiler with LPG.......

They must be nuts, the running costs are somewhat on the large size. Does this place begin with B and do they have an indoor swimming pool by any chance?

Do you assess Knuckle dusters and stilettos too (or just wear them @ weekends) and can you do the big stuff, ie. Weapons of Mass Destruction. I know of a good job going....my brokerage fee is v.reasonable :rolleyes:

Boiler type? Ooh, go on then, if you insist ;)

The only name plate, buried deep inside and written in about four-point type, says "elctrooil AB, Sweden, 1991", plus a serial number. Doesn't seem terribly enlightening.

The crux of the question is can a replacement oil boiler go back in the garage, in (essentially) the same place, or does it have to come into the house? I have had it serviced annually as long as I have lived there (three years) but I *don't* know if the previous owner was as careful (they were dead when I bought the house, which is why I couldn't ask them - well, not easily, anyway!)

Any equipment must have an expected service life, and fifteen years seems like it has had a good innings. Therefore, I want to plan for the contingency that the thing wakes up one morning, farts and duly pegs out, which, let's face it, is not impossible.

As for assessing weaponry, not strictly under COSHH, but under the terms of a general risk assessment (which of course all tradesmen have for all operations, don't you :LOL: ), yeah, I can. I have to get out my *other* gold-braided, purple velvet, silk-tasselled HSE-granted Jobsworth hat, but yes, I can ;)

Oddly enough, my rates too are eminently reasonable :D

M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back