Replacing oil with gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to have our ancient oil fired boiler replaced with a gas combi, but having read through the various postings, I now think it would be better to fit a conventional unit. I have only researched combi units so far, so the question is, are all boilers now balanced flue?

As it looks like we are going for conventional, it would be easier to install it in the same position as the old one, which is in centre of house and uses a long flue running up through the roof. Can the new boiler utilise this flue?

Sponsored Links
It depends what size your current flue is. You may be able to use the same route, but you may need a different liner. You should really have a new liner if you have a new oil boiler too, but it's surprising what we can do with oil that you can't do with gas. You may like to research the projected market for gas, it may not always be cheaper than oil. Things could change.

Thanks for reply.

I'm more interested in getting rid of tanks etc but also as I'm over 60 I can get combined fixed price fuel bill for gas and electricity.

If you have a combi, and it breaks down, you will have no hot water as someone will have stolen your HW tank and the immersion heater. Do you need to replace the boiler? What make is it? You can but a lot of fuel for the cost of a boiler.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is an old Buderus and is very noisy. Been living on borrowed time for some years. I got it cheap as obsolete stock about 28 years ago so I guess it doesn't owe me anything. We had no gas in the village until fairly recently. We also suffer lots of electricity outages.

I want to get rid of oil tank, it is in the way.
It is in lower part of garden, so the oil has to pumped up, something else to go wrong.
The tank level has to be checked, and I forget to do it.
I'm over 60 and can get good fixed price tariff for gas & electricicty.

I have been a great believer in oil over the last 40 years, but it has got to be replaced, and all things considered, gas makes sense. But I agree, not a combi.

I'm just looking now for the least disruptive solution, ie. the existing pipework and flue, but I guess a horizontal flue won't be too much trouble if it can be 3 metres long.

Which boilers have proven track record without going over the top on price?

I'm not a gas man, and they will have their favorites, but some of the less publicised ones worth a look are (surprise) Buderus (01473 241555) and Fontecal (01977 603427) but they will supply direct, only to installers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back