OIL BOILER SMOKING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ALL

I was called out to a oil combi boiler black smoking first thing i think is great going to get covered in soot, well i cleaned it all up changed nozzle fired it up and started my analyzing the Co2 was going too high opened up air settings all the way still going above 13% tried another nozzle and checked fuel pressure Co2 still too high.

Well i didnt want to leave it like this so what i did was scale boiler back to lower setting and it seem to run ok.

I have read in previous forums about changing the capacitor be honest i never thought of that only time i have done that is when motor hasn't started

Well many thanks for any advice[/b]

Sponsored Links
what oil boiler? if one with a flue into chimney and liner. get the liner swept.

Sponsored Links
silly question. did you have right fuel setting on the analyser. wouldn't be the first for many that do various fuels. e.g nat gas, lpg, oil and gas oil.

yes to what. the analyser question or oftec. you still haven't answered which boiler. bit like asking why why the car engine aint working. and giving no details. for example. some wb boilers give incorrect pump pressure on the data plate against the actual main instructions. and some amendments were made to greenstar pump pressures. thats just an example.

If the pump pressure is OK and the air fan is on the same shaft then I would expect the motor is OK. I might still measure the shaft RPM though

Is the fan impeller clean?

Tony

Its a Camary 5 90A with a riello RDB burner

pump pressure was 8.0 bar

the boiler has been running fine for 3 years or so without service and oil was delivered in september

I think i am going to try a new capacitor

I suggest you take a good look at the air inlet on the burner.

High C02 suggests that the air flap may be blocked/displaced, or the fan full of crud. Something could have gone down the air tube flexi and met a nasty end inside the burner. Some burners have an air inlet gauze.

It's unlikely to be anything to do with the motor simply because you can obtain the oil pressure readings.

If the flue was restricted I would expect to see evidence of combustion gases coming back into the boiler casing.

Yeah thought of that after i posted couldn't be capacitor if oil pressure constant

I took the air box apart it was clean fan was clean and as i said before ran with snorkel on and off.

I was wondering if the soot could have been giving me false readings as it was burning off

I am calling past there again next week just to put the analyser on again and see if Co2 dropped if so ramp back up to original settings

But still welcome any advice

Thirteen posts and no mention of a smoke pump reading :eek: :confused:
Surely that is the first thing to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back