Oil burner Co readings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been setting up my boiler (ancient Danesmoor 20/25) using a flue gas analyser ( I should say straight away I am an old fashioned mechanical technician and not an oil engineer).
Tha main reason I hired the analyser was to check a relations condensing oil boiler (Grandee) which was sooting up regularly-they had been told that the best bet was to have it cleaned/serviced every 6 months,everything in my engineering background told me this wasn't right,and my own edlerly boiler would go for long periods if no components failed with almost no sooting.
The Grandee guy told me to fit a modified flue kit,removing the original diverter.
Having used the analyser,I wondered if there is a relationship between Co and sooting,or rather should the Co level be targeted-the Grandee meets all the burner flue gas specs,but I can't find a Co level anywhere-I'm getting 30 ppm on the Grandee,my own ancient Danesmoor is 19.
I know this an area where experience is so usefull,I worked for several years with a small plumbing company who undertook both gas and oil installations,but they only needed one boiler engineer.

Sponsored Links
Usually try to keep the Co below 60 on an oil boiler as higher promotes sooting. Could be someting else like air getting into the oil line as grandees are prone to this, dirty oil or wrong oil or a problem with the burner.

Sooting can be a cause of the combustion chamber and baffles
as well as the burner and nozzle.
Generally any oil boiler should run happily for 1 year without any
problems.

Some makes and models tend to give a thin film of soot.
Others will run spotless.

Ensure that correct oil pressure and and nozzle have been selected.
Too much oil pressure and the wrong nozzle can mean the flame catches either the blast tube or combustion chamber wall.
30ppm is fine. Boilers can run anywhere from about 20-50ppm.

Oil boilers are usually have 3 different nozzle sizes. Try the smaller size
and it should also reduce sooting.
If the boiler is doing a lot of cycling this will cause additional
sooting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back