Oil central heating, contaminated oil

If your tank cracks and leaks 2000 litres the DEAD Ash Tree will be the least of your worries, the oil will kill just about everything plus getting into the water table.
As oilboffin said there are no regulations demanding you have to replace the tank, but if it cracks and you lose the contents your household insurance will not cover the cost of repairs and cleaning up.
As a rule of thumb a Bunded Tank the same size as your present tank will only hold half the contents ( i.e. 1000 litres)

Sponsored Links
I believe the concrete enclosure acts as a bund, to contain the contents of the tank in the event of a leak, so by replacing it with a new double skinned tank, you are doing away with the need for the bund as the tank is self contained within its own bund.

I think what a lot of folks have missed is the fact that a lot of OFTEC regs are non enforceable.
OFTEC don't have the teeth like gas safe do,so you don't have to have a bunded tank yet unless,
the tank is in certain areas. The only real thing the enforces OFTEC regs is insurance companies.
But it's always best practise to do the best,yon can find out about tank regs online.Good luck Bob.

OFTEC are a trade association first and foremost who, amongst other things also run a competent persons scheme. They do not and have never set regulations as they have no authority to. What they do is collate the regulations set by Bristish Standards and Building Regulations, along with regional bylaws and requirements, manufacturers stipulations (to a degree) and industry codes of best practice, then as a registrant of that OFTEC scheme, you then adhere to those codes of practice.

What this means is, that any and all works done on an oil heating system MUST conform to BS5410 (parts 1 & 2) and Building Regulations at all times, anything less and you are breaking the law. It's also worth noting this applies if you are a member of a competent persons scheme or not, if you are a homeowner or tenant working on your home, or a mate helping someone out, it must always be to the prescribed standard. If you are ignorant of these standards you are not 'competent' in the legal sense.

So, as you will be aware, BS5410 part 1 2014 states all new installation or replacement fuel tanks MUST provide secondary containment to a set standard, it is no longer a regional bye law or dependent on minimum distances etc etc as before. Also, as they are classed as notifiable works they must be signed off by either a building control officer or an OFTEC registered person and then building control informed.

Please also note that secondary containment could be either a double skinned 'bunded' tank or a single skinned tank sited within a catch pit, both are permitted.

You are right in that OFTEC don't have the teeth that Gas Safe do but that is because Gas Safe is owned and ran by the HSE and they are organised and ran completely differently to an oil trade association. there are a few bodies that run competent person schemes for oil but OFTEC is the most well known whereas gas safe is the only one for gas.

Hope that clarifies things.

Last edited:
Well without sounding a know all I guess youve been reading OFTEC book 3.I think youll find that
5410part2 is for over 45kw appliances and domestic come under part1.Also I'm pretty sure that
you only are required to have secondary containment if the tank is over 2500 litres or the special
conditions apply,eg if the tank is within 10metres of a manhole or controlled water.I have to say
the 45kw is a joke because a basic OFTEC cert only allows the tech to work up to 44kw and that
can be checked with ukas.

Sponsored Links
Just reading up online, it does seem to be the case that secondary containment is only needed for volumes over 2500 litres. However, I do quite like the idea of a double-skinned tank - not least from the point of view of keeping condensation in the inner tank to a minimum. My problem is that I think the double-skinned tanks are bigger (I can't see how they couldn't be, to be honest!) and my existing single-skinned tank is virtually wedged between the garage wall and the ash tree. There's no way I'd get the OFTEC-specified 300mm overlap all round the base, even on my current tank. Things are also complicated by the fact that there's a wooden lean-to shed built on to the end of the garage immediately behind the existing tank, so the space for it is hemmed-in by the lean-to behind it, the garage on one side and the tree on the other. I'm guessing that nobody would sign a new installation off so close to the shed, so that means demolishing the shed (and probably cutting the ash tree down). All this is starting to look rather unappealing...!

Just reading up online, it does seem to be the case that secondary containment is only needed for volumes over 2500 litres. However, I do quite like the idea of a double-skinned tank - not least from the point of view of keeping condensation in the inner tank to a minimum. My problem is that I think the double-skinned tanks are bigger (I can't see how they couldn't be, to be honest!) and my existing single-skinned tank is virtually wedged between the garage wall and the ash tree. There's no way I'd get the OFTEC-specified 300mm overlap all round the base, even on my current tank. Things are also complicated by the fact that there's a wooden lean-to shed built on to the end of the garage immediately behind the existing tank, so the space for it is hemmed-in by the lean-to behind it, the garage on one side and the tree on the other. I'm guessing that nobody would sign a new installation off so close to the shed, so that means demolishing the shed (and probably cutting the ash tree down). All this is starting to look rather unappealing...!

What difference would 760mm clearance make to a plastic tank in the event of a fire !?

There was a case in Ireland where 4-5 houses got burnt out due to a shed built next to a tank.
The shed caught fire and set fire to a couple of tanks and then the houses were involved,could only happen in Ireland.luckily no one was hurt.

Just another thought that struck me. If I'm going to stay with a single-skinned tank over a bund, how do I stop it filling with rainwater? The current one doesn't so I'm pretty certain it's nowhere NEAR waterproof, so how would it actually contain an oil spill? IF they ARE leakproof enough to contain an oil spill, why don't they all just fill up with rainwater?

Well without sounding a know all I guess youve been reading OFTEC book 3.I think youll find that
5410part2 is for over 45kw appliances and domestic come under part1.Also I'm pretty sure that
you only are required to have secondary containment if the tank is over 2500 litres or the special
conditions apply,eg if the tank is within 10metres of a manhole or controlled water.I have to say
the 45kw is a joke because a basic OFTEC cert only allows the tech to work up to 44kw and that
can be checked with ukas.

Apologies, that was a typo on my part, I meant to put part 1 and have edited accordingly.

I haven't been reading any OFTEC books for a little while- pretty much since last year when they released all the amendments to them after all the changes to BS5410- they more or less had to re write most of the manuals due to the changes and it was these changes to BS5410 I was referring to- no known as BS5410 part 1 2014 (these amendments actually came into force under building regs 1/1/2015 so you are a little behind). I would also refer you back to my original post where I did state that it USED to be within minimum distances but not anymore.

I am not trying to pick holes in what is essentially you trying to help someone with a problem but giving out false information however inadvertently is no help and serves no purpose whatsoever.

This has been discussed at length on various oil trade forums and there have been several articles printed in various trade publications since before the changes came about so I am a little surprised you weren't aware.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back