Oil central heating, contaminated oil

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I must admit I've not seen anything like a drain cock on this tank. I gatehr Rototank went bust quite some time ago. This tank is over 20 years old now, and a few people have told me its days are numbered. I think the plan is going to be:
1. Get some better filtration in there this weekend,
2. Try and run it for a bit with that (even if I have to change the filter every few weeks) and see if that gets me through the winter,
3. Have a poke in there with some of this water-seeking paste on a stick and find out how much is in there, then maybe try to "suck" it out with a pump,
4. After the winter when the tank has less fuel in it, find a temporary tank and empty and clean it properly. MAYBE even bite the bullet and buy a new bunded tank.

Sponsored Links
If you buy a bunded tank these are more expensive but very good.Ifyou want to be safe get a top entry one there are no valves on the bottom and the oil is drawn off the top of the oil in the tank.

My original tanks were 2500 litres steel which I've replaced with a bunded Harlequin, I think it is. It cost around a grand 6 years ago.
Now Its maximum capacity is 1300 litres, meaning 1000 litre drops - and the thing is bloody massive and weighs a ton. They also need to be mounted on a completely flat and fully supported base.
If such a thing was available I'd go for a large capacity stainless unbunded but whether that's possible or legal I don't know.
As an addition, have you come across Fueltool for competitive prices?
John :)

Yeah, I'm resigned to a fair bit of work if I change the tank. Ours is sat on a 3/4" plywood base, covered in roofing felt, and then the base rests on four or five joists, which in turn are supported on a couple of towers of concrete blocks. Around the whole lot (but slightly too small for it!) is a wall about 2' high which will (supposedly!) contain any spills (aye, right...) One of the concrete block towers has already sunk into the bottom of the enclosure under the weight of the tank (which is a couple of tons when full). Irritatingly, there's an ash tree right next to the wall, which I guess will have to come down if I'm re-doing it.

Hadn't seen fueltool, but looks similar to Boilerjuice. That said, we have a buying cooperative in our village and a few nearby ones, where we group-buy quarterly. Generally gets us about 2-3p / litre off the best quote that any of us can singly obtain, and has always been cheaper than Boilerjuice.

Your oil tank is on ply, roofing felt and wooden joists... not the recommended way to support it... fire hazard.

These days the regulations regarding unbunded tanks are very strict, 22 years is a good time,
time to go for a new bunded tank and solid concrete footings,

I am surprised that the Oil Delivery service still deliver under the circumstances of your current tank, it sounds very dangerous as a Fire Risk and oil spillage due to rupture of the tank

You state part of the blocks holding the tank have sunk, should they slip further and the tank ruptures it will cost a fortune to have the surrounding ground cleaned up, its also possible the oil spillage can get into the water table or under the footings of your property, then you will really have problems.

Definitely a new Tank Job.

AS a temporary measure water removing filters are useful, providing they are emptied daily

God I remember working with my uncle welding steel tanks I was taught the old way.when I got the welding right got a kitkat and mug of tea,if wrong kick up arse do it again no kitkat no tea.all this
at twelve years old. The good old days eh.

Your oil tank is on ply, roofing felt and wooden joists... not the recommended way to support it... fire hazard.
LOL! This is Cumbria. I think if I held a blow torch on the wood for half an hour it might steam gently...!

These days the regulations regarding unbunded tanks are very strict, 22 years is a good time,
time to go for a new bunded tank and solid concrete footings,

I am surprised that the Oil Delivery service still deliver under the circumstances of your current tank, it sounds very dangerous as a Fire Risk and oil spillage due to rupture of the tank

You state part of the blocks holding the tank have sunk, should they slip further and the tank ruptures it will cost a fortune to have the surrounding ground cleaned up, its also possible the oil spillage can get into the water table or under the footings of your property, then you will really have problems.

Definitely a new Tank Job.

Yeah, not ideal, I know. I'm not too worried about the tank splitting due to uneven support. It's very evenly supported and the wood (although a bit soft round the edges) is basically sound under the tank itself. The sinking concrete block pillar is under one end, so the effect of it sinking is just to tilt the whole tank (on its base) down at the end furthest from the fuel take-off. That's probably part of the problem, in fact. I imagine the "far" end of it will have a fair bit of water in it and the level will have crept up towards the front of the tank where the take-offf is. I do worry about the plastic going brittle with age though. As has been said, 22 years is a fair innings. I reckon if I can nurse it through the wwinter and drop the leevel in there, I'll be able to get a new one next spring. The worst thing will be having to cut down my poor ash tree. I imagine the roots will be under the enclosure. I guess if I buy a 2500 litre double-skinned one, it will be even bigger than this one, so the concrete enclosure will have to be made bigger? (Or do double-skinned ones not need to stand over an enclosure)?

Could you not ignore the tree and construct a reinforced concrete base for the tank?

I think what a lot of folks have missed is the fact that a lot of OFTEC regs are non enforceable.
OFTEC don't have the teeth like gas safe do,so you don't have to have a bunded tank yet unless,
the tank is in certain areas. The only real thing the enforces OFTEC regs is insurance companies.
But it's always best practise to do the best,yon can find out about tank regs online.Good luck Bob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back