Oil combi versus system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading a few posts and get the impression that the idea of replacing my Bosch oil system boiler and vented HW tank with a Bosch oil combi boiler may be frowned upon by the pros among you. I would be glad to hear of experiences or advice. Because the house is a dormer style bungalow, the feed tanks and immersion tank are all taking up space in the living areas, so a combi sounds good from that point of view, also I hate our electric shower and miss my old mira mixer.A combi would provide good pressure for the shower. It's on points like reliability and parts cost that I need help.
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
to be honest, oil combis can be a pain, but I aint got a pathological hatred of them, .yet.

go for it.

Combis are expensive to maintain, my advise is go for a non system boiler and fit a separate sealed system pack, s-plan and unvented cylinder.

many thanks, though you did lose me a bit with the components,what's a non system boiler for example?

Sponsored Links
We have a Worcester Danesmoor 20/25, not sure how old, currently using about £35 of oil a week.I'm sure we can improve on that with a new boiler and a decent control system.

You will get very little efficiency gain from a new boiler over a Danesmoor. You can spend the money better by:

turning OFF the rads in rooms you don't need,
turning your room thermostat down,
loft insulation,
pipe insulation,
thermostatic valves (and then turning them down and not leaving them at full temp)

in that order, before you go spending large amounts of money on a new boiler.

You water system is more important than living space that it takes up. This will become obvious when your combi boiler breaks down and you have no hot water from the taps.

We have a Worcester Danesmoor 20/25, not sure how old, currently using about £35 of oil a week.I'm sure we can improve on that with a new boiler and a decent control system.

As Oilman said, and your £35pw is a result of the oil price not anything wrong with the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back