Oil combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have recently had new pipes and rads fitted in our bungalow to replace the terrible leaking system in place before. The new rads are currently connected to a 15yr old oil boiler which is heating the house fairly well. The boiler also feeds a hot water storage tank.

However the storage tank is leaking terminally (we've now drained it), and it has forced our hand somewhat with having to get a new boiler now (it seems better to invest the cash in a new boiler rather than replace the tank, when the boiler is close to the end of its life).

I've had 2 quotes for Worcester greenstar 12/18 combis, but reading some posts on here, I picked up some negative feedback on the oil combis. I had assumed that combi would be the way to go, but would anyone recommend otherwise?
Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
if space is a problem then often a combi is the only option

but oil boilers do not like being continually being fired. They like to run for a while at a time.

The heat losses on combi oil boilers is also a problem and so the best option is always a cylinder and boiler

A modern oil combi is not a bad option, particularly if you do not have a large DHW requirement. I personally would opt for a grant or Firebird rather than Worcester, which I think have gone 'cheap' and are not service friendly.

A modern oil combi is not a bad option, particularly if you do not have a large DHW requirement. I personally would opt for a grant or Firebird rather than Worcester, which I think have gone 'cheap' and are not service friendly.

+1

Sponsored Links
Firstly you existing oil boiler will run another 15 years probably.
They are usually reliable and very tough.

I would opt for a replacement tank which is very cheap and easy.

A normal boiler is much more reliable than a combi and you have the backup of immersion heater should there be a problem a small modern cylinder will heat up in a fraction of the time your old one did more than likely.

So long as your water supply is good a combi is a serious consideration, but I have seen a fair few including those by British Gas fitted to poor supplies and owners who wished they had never made the decision to go with them. I appreciate yours would be oil fired, but the principle is the same.

So before committing yourself try and find out what sort of flow rate your water supply can give. i.e. how many litres you can get in a minute.

Thanks for the replies. I'm unsure what our water flow rate is - will try to find out.

The demand for water is from:

Kitchen sink hot tap
Bath hot tap
Bathroom sink hot tap
Also 5 rads + towel rail

We've got dishwasher, electric shower, washing machine but those are electric

It's a 3 bed bungalow. Me and the wife, plus baby coming april.

Been recommended a 12/18 heatslave combi which is coming in over £3k inc vat all told

Thanks for the replies. I'm unsure what our water flow rate is - will try to find out.

The demand for water is from:

Kitchen sink hot tap
Bath hot tap
Bathroom sink hot tap
Also 5 rads + towel rail

We've got dishwasher, electric shower, washing machine but those are electric

It's a 3 bed bungalow. Me and the wife, plus baby coming april.

Been recommended a 12/18 heatslave combi which is coming in over £3k inc vat all told

Gas combi (small box on the wall) running on lpg fitted for £1400 with two 47kg propane bottles. £1600 difference buys an awful lot of propane.

I doubt it'd buy a year's worth at the pence per kW price of bottles. And then it's a sharp uphill cost thereafter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back