Oil Combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we're buying currently has an oil burner (no mains gas) linked to a hot water storage tank. I have only ever known gas combi boilers and don't like the idea of running out of hot water. The oil boiler requires replacing either way but was thinking about swapping it out for an oil combi. Do they operate the same as a gas combi? i.e. the water takes the same length of time to heat up? Any help appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yeh I have looked at them, but do they operate in the same way as a gas combi? Does it heat the water up as quickly? Does anyone have any experience using an oil combi?

These have an internal hot water store which is kept hot and ready for use for fast hot delivery at taps etc,the boiler fires up to maintain the hot water delivery and top up the hot water store ready for next use.

Have seen the external model at a b&b in the back of no where. seemed quiet aswell.

Sponsored Links
The largest Worcester Greenstar will produce 22Ltr/min. Depending on your incoming water mains pressure & flow rate.
Your average unvented cylinder will produce about 20Ltr/min.

The cylinder will be, in most cases a cheaper install. Plus you can have a back-up immersion heater.

Generally oil combis are expensive shyte.

The oil combos don't modulate in the way gas boilers do,with a gas boiler the faster the hot water runs the more gas is used to keep the temp up.With an oil boiler its the heat in the heat store that warms the water through the heat exchanger so when you run the hot tap the boiler starts up so you don't lose heat but you will find that the oil only has a set heat output so a trick with the oil is to run your bath a bit slower than if you had a gas boiler that way the water goes trough the heat exchanger slower giving it time to warm up.Bob

Forgot to hello sir Richard I do hope you are well and in good health.Bob

I'm in the pink dear boy & with a future so bright I need to wear shades.
I hope life is good in the land of the Black Pudding?

Thank you on the subject of black puddings I'm doing all the boilers of the family butchers who make the famous Stornoway black pudding.Bob

Out of town it's all bottled or a tank of gas in town it's mains but comes from the gas works where they evaporate liquid gas which comes in by tanker I'm not doing gas any more I'm fed up with bottled gas it stinks to high heaven and so do your tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back