Oil bolier, replace with gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of buying a property that currently uses an oil burner for its central heating. The property is a 4 bed house.

I dont know much about oil burners, thought these were only used if the property has no gas access, this property does have a gas inlet in the garage but has not been connected.

What would you do, replace the oil burner for gas? This is my current plan but would appreciate any of your views.

Another quick question, what is the best option these days for central heating, combi, condensing or ordinary boiler.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you are on the mains gas network, it is a no brainer.

As for the boiler choice, that depends on what is important to you and I suggest that is where a good installer, standing on site can give you much better advice than a good installer who cant see your house on an internet forum.

You'd be better off leaving it until it has to be replaced. No point doing it just for the sake of changing fuels. Unless of course the system is already antiquated.

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

The property which I am buying needs A LOT of modernisation thats the reason why I'm thinking of replacing it now. Planning on having it replaced before physical moving into the property.

Sponsored Links
You'd be better off leaving it until it has to be replaced. No point doing it just for the sake of changing fuels. Unless of course the system is already antiquated.

Rubbish. Keeping oil is the worst thing to suggest. Change to gas immediately if only for the hassle factor of having to remember to order oil that is dependant on world spot oil prices!

WTF do you mean rubbish. So if he had a 2007 Camray 5, in perfect nic on a fully pumped system with latest controls, Part L cylinder and bunded tank, you suggest it's taken out just to accommodate gas, the price of which is rising just as fast as any other fuel. As stated, if it's in need of change (which now we know it is) then he should use the gas supply.

Tibbot, when you put it like that I can see your point.

The make of the current oil burner is a Jetstreme 2000, I guessing from the lack of info on the internet about this model that it is an oldie.

They were made by Halstead, now Dimplex but they stopped oil about 10 years ago. You'll still be able to keep them going as burner and many parts will be generic. However If you're having to make wholesale changes (eg. knackered oil tank, gravity system etc.) then replace with gas-fired heating.

Definately keep the oil boiler. Safest fuel available.
Working in a property at the moment and the oil boiler was installed 28 years ago and has never been serviced and runs like clockwork.
Ripped out an ole 37 year old back boiler and fitted a new Stovax boiler stove.

Pipework had me bit baffeled at the start but have it sussed now. :mrgreen:

I'd post up a schematic if it wasn't for the course cowboys on here.

WTF do you mean rubbish. So if he had a 2007 Camray 5, in perfect nic on a fully pumped system with latest controls, Part L cylinder and bunded tank, you suggest it's taken out just to accommodate gas, the price of which is rising just as fast as any other fuel. As stated, if it's in need of change (which now we know it is) then he should use the gas supply.

Have you lived with an oil boiler?

Only change the boiler which he could sell off with the oil tank easily.

I had oil for 17 years, firstly an old Perkins through the wall design and then a Trianco Eurostar. Unfortunately the village where I lived had no gas and BG stated they would never pipe up the village because there weren't enough customers to pay for it!

It was a right PITA right from the start. You could never get a reliable technician to service and repair it and some of the monkeys that said they could should have been shot on the farm where they belonged.

As for fuel prices it was an absolute minefield. It varied throughout the year and was always highest when you happened to have forgotten and run out. Quite why the big gas and elec companies haven't twigged the enormous heating oil market out in the sticks is beyond me. They have enormous buying power, particularly those with there own generating capacity, but the have completely ignored the opportunity IMHO.

The only good thing about it was that when I was made redundant from my engineering job I retrained as a service engineer, took all the manufacturers' courses and OTFEC certification and it kept me going until retirement. I even met a PHD scientist who did the same because he couldn't get anyone to use their brains in system design and boiler fault analysis.

Needless to say I now live in a house with gas heating and it is absolute bliss in comparison! Best move I ever made.

If you believe oftec oil is cheaper to heat the home with than gas at the moment. So stay as you are until the oil burner breaks down. Life expectancy of an oil boiler is 10-20 years usually so save your money.
The boilers are very robust and extremely reliable. Just need a quick check clean and new nossle once a year.

Have you lived with an oil boiler?

No, I've never lived with an oil boiler. I don't live with one now. I haven't lived with one for the last 10 years, nor previously had one for 4 years. I've never worked on one or installed any. Also no experience of gas either. I post on here for fun and do not do this in any way for a living. However I shall read all your future posts for enlightenment.

Interesting that you make statements about things about which you know nothing! Remind me to ignore all your posts in future.

'If you can't say nuffin nice...don't say nuffin at all!' as my dear old Ma used to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back