Oil bolier, replace with gas?

I rubbished your post because that's exactly what it was, rubbish!

If you're going to contribute to this forum then at least do so about things that you know.

By your own admission you know absolutely nothing about oil-fired boilers..I suspect you also know not much about not much.

Misleading those who ask genuine questions and want genuine answers is simply pathetic. You should be banned!

Now shut up and go away!

Sponsored Links
I rubbished your post because that's exactly what it was, rubbish!

It made sense to others including the OP, or are they all rubbish too?

For some reason you've singled me out even though when I posted much less was known of the OP's situation and I also advised him to change to gas if the system required replacement.

As for my comments regarding my own experience, I suggest you look up the definition of when someone is 'being sarcastic'.

Now **** *** back to your retirement and Hell's waiting room.

I didn't say you were rubbish, but if the cap fits... oh and there's no need to be abusive.

Sponsored Links
WTF do you mean rubbish. So if he had a 2007 Camray 5, in perfect nic on a fully pumped system with latest controls, Part L cylinder and bunded tank, you suggest it's taken out just to accommodate gas, the price of which is rising just as fast as any other fuel. As stated, if it's in need of change (which now we know it is) then he should use the gas supply.

Have you lived with an oil boiler?

Only change the boiler which he could sell off with the oil tank easily.

I had oil for 17 years, firstly an old Perkins through the wall design and then a Trianco Eurostar. Unfortunately the village where I lived had no gas and BG stated they would never pipe up the village because there weren't enough customers to pay for it!

It was a right PITA right from the start. You could never get a reliable technician to service and repair it and some of the monkeys that said they could should have been shot on the farm where they belonged.

As for fuel prices it was an absolute minefield. It varied throughout the year and was always highest when you happened to have forgotten and run out. Quite why the big gas and elec companies haven't twigged the enormous heating oil market out in the sticks is beyond me. They have enormous buying power, particularly those with there own generating capacity, but the have completely ignored the opportunity IMHO.

The only good thing about it was that when I was made redundant from my engineering job I retrained as a service engineer, took all the manufacturers' courses and OTFEC certification and it kept me going until retirement. I even met a PHD scientist who did the same because he couldn't get anyone to use their brains in system design and boiler fault analysis.

Needless to say I now live in a house with gas heating and it is absolute bliss in comparison! Best move I ever made.

Oh, another Career Change Chancer(CCC) that thinks he knows it all!!
Look mate it's you that's talking complete drivel.
Of course the OP is much better retaining his oil system until it goes t.ts up. For all you know, it could cost a small fortune to re-connect his Nat Gas connection.

That's one problem with this forum you've got all sorts on here and frankly some of the advice is far from correct, technically or financially!!
Ban all CC/CCCs I say, they're misleading themselves & the DaftyDIYers.

Thank you for you few kind words!

My advice is based on living with high oil prices and trying to find competent techies to maintain them.

In 1990 I paid 10p/litre for heating oil. When I recently visited one of my old neighbours he had paid 65p. 550% increase, even gas hasn't gone up that much! That's £1300 for one tank (2000 litres). You'll probably get through 1.5 to 2 tanks in a cold year so it could cost up to £2600/annum to run it. Cheap heating it ain't!

A new gas boiler would be less than half of that to run which means a new gas boiler only would pay for itself in 2-3 years. Change the boiler now before you get to next winter when you have to shell out for expensive oil as the oil prices will be even higher, they always are.

My advice is based on living with high oil prices and trying to find competent techies to maintain them.

In 1990 I paid 10p/litre for heating oil. When I recently visited one of my old neighbours he had paid 65p. 550% increase, even gas hasn't gone up that much! That's £1300 for one tank (2000 litres). You'll probably get through 1.5 to 2 tanks in a cold year so it could cost up to £2600/annum to run it. Cheap heating it ain't!

A new gas boiler would be less than half of that to run which means a new gas boiler only would pay for itself in 2-3 years. Change the boiler now before you get to next winter when you have to shell out for expensive oil as the oil prices will be even higher, they always are.

But my course cowboy chum 1990 is 32 years ago!! 65p for Kero complete ballox, my pal in the Highlands is paying a lot less than that. Of course I'm not saying Kero is cheaper than Nat Gas. But you're talking drivel!!

Ban all CC/CCCs they talk rubbish!!

Whatever.

You obviously know best so I'll concede to your superior knowledge and experience of owning and running a home with an oil-fired boiler.

(can't do sums though...OMG it's 2022 already!)

Here are the current stats for a 3 bed house

Fuel Type Cost over 12 months*
for a 3-bedroomed house in Great Britain
Oil – standard efficiency boiler £1,619
Oil – condensing boiler £1,324
Solid fuel (anthracite) £977
Electricity £1,252
Mains Gas £876
LPG – standard efficiency boiler £2,292
LPG – condensing boiler £1,883
Wood pellets £1,316
* As compiled by Sutherland Tables for the 12 months to July 2011

Whatever.

You obviously know best so I'll concede to your superior knowledge and experience of owning and running a home with an oil-fired boiler.

(can't do sums though...OMG it's 2022 already!)

Ooops I hit the wrong button on my iPhone.
Yes I have had homes with oil central heating & my company has been installing & maintaining oil fired central heating for nearly 40 years, so yes I do have a superior knowledge of the subject, not as much as some of the oil service guys on here though........... ;)

So please don't be a pompous old f.rt & keep your poorly trained, limited experienced drivel to yourself.

Here are the current stats for a 3 bed house

Fuel Type Cost over 12 months*
for a 3-bedroomed house in Great Britain
Oil – standard efficiency boiler £1,619
Oil – condensing boiler £1,324
Solid fuel (anthracite) £977
Electricity £1,252
Mains Gas £876
LPG – standard efficiency boiler £2,292
LPG – condensing boiler £1,883
Wood pellets £1,316
* As compiled by Sutherland Tables for the 12 months to July 2011

Aye and one guess who sponsors the Sutherland fella DC???

Please don't rubbish oil boilers I'm an oftec man 25 years in the game now ive just put in a boiler and it's running at 94%efficiant

Please don't rubbish oil boilers I'm an oftec man 25 years in the game now ive just put in a boiler and it's running at 94%efficient :) :)

Not my intention at all.

Oil boilers are fine in the right situation and much preferable to LPG. Can be efficient (not the same as economical!) and reliable given regular and experienced servicing.

What I'm maintaining is that given the choice between oil and gas (the OP had gas supply in his garage ffs) then gas is preferred (that's a personal preference given years of experience of living with an oil boiler).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back