Condensing or combi boiler

Sponsored Links
I assumed the op was talking about hot water, so that's what I was referring to. But you won't get enough flow through the heat exchanger without the pump running, so that would apply to whether you're demanding HW or Ch.

I assumed the op was talking about hot water, so that's what I was referring to. But you won't get enough flow through the heat exchanger without the pump running, so that would apply to whether you're demanding HW or Ch.

The OP wasn't talking about Gravity anything with a combi boiler. He was referring to the open vented domestic water.

You can't have gravity circulation on primary pipe work with a modern boiler. But you're allowed gravity secondary water.

Sponsored Links
The OP wasn't talking about Gravity anything with a combi boiler. He was referring to the open vented domestic water.

You can't have gravity circulation on primary pipe work with a modern boiler. But you're allowed gravity secondary water.
Fair point, I can't imagine the OP was considering that as an alternative to a Combi though!
I also indeed didn't realise he meant open vented when he said gravity, so thanks for pointing out(y)

Your ignorance of the topic is amusing considering how against the principle you are.
Am I ignorant or would you prefer to claim that I was ignorant in order to weaken the validity of my opinion in the eyes of others.

The mesh network is to allow a single box to be used for 250 appliances. Saving a housing association having the cost and complexity of 250 boxes.
That is a big advantage to a housing association who have to pay to maintain the equipment installled in their properties. It is of little benefit to owner occupiers but then as Intergas state their prime market was ( and maybe still is ) housing associations and owners of rented properties.

The unit for regular systems can link 4 (iirc) boilers and is useful when you have multiple boilers in a property.
That is a useful function but could be achieved by an external control system

As for the bre figures. It should be obvious why they're crap.
If as you claim it is obvious to you that the figures are crap then can you enlighten those who cannot see the obvious.

Besides, as I have said before, having worked at their establishment in Watford, I've seen first hand the incompetence of and if the people working there.
Architects and structural engineers have a different opinion.

I care little. I don't measure the claim of 122% efficiency. I don't sell that boiler (yet). It is the test house that generates the results, not Intergas. Have you asked the test house?
Did the test house independently produced the the figure or did they verify results that Intergas claimed. No I haven't asked the test house because I have not been gven the name of the test house.

Or are you going to keep banging your drum of self-importance?
I will continue to question and seek explanations for claims that are at best dubious. I do not feel in the least self important.

You can't do gravity on a new boiler,
You can but only if the arrangement of the heat exchanger is such that gravity circulation will commence. The return to the heat exchanger has to be at the bottom of the exchanger and the flow taken from the top of the exchanger.

Am I ignorant or would you prefer to claim that I was ignorant in order to weaken the validity of my opinion in the eyes of others

Your opinion is weak enough in the eyes of others.

That is a useful function but could be achieved by an external control system

So what?

That is a big advantage to a housing association who have to pay to maintain the equipment installled in their properties

And that is the whole sodding point of the product.

It is of little benefit to owner occupiers

Shows what you know doesn't it Berny. I have nearly 20 boilers on my system that are remotely monitored. They have already saved the owners the cost of the subscription because I can see whats wrong without having to go to the site. Just last week i turned a house on for the owners the morning they moved in as it was dormant over Christmas while the builders were finishing their bits and bobs.

Another house needed the pump and flow temperature tweaking a little after the decorators were reinstating rads. I could have driven 3 hours and pressed a few buttons. Or I could have sat in my bath sipping a G&T and sorted it out. Saved them £250, saved me a boring trip through central London.

If as you claim it is obvious to you that the figures are crap then can you enlighten those who cannot see the obvious.

When i can be arsed to find the table again I might get round to pointing out the obvious.

Did the test house independently produced the the figure or did they verify results that Intergas claimed. No I haven't asked the test house because I have not been gven the name of the test house.

I don't care. I'm not making the claim.

I will continue to question and seek explanations for claims that are at best dubious. I do not feel in the least self important.

Seek them where they can be sought then. All you do here is show yourself to be a pompous ass.

I wasn't the OP but yes I was talking about an open vented gravity system. This is what we had till last December, very poor system. No motorised valve or pumps anywhere on the DHW side, just long gravity runs to heat the coil inside the hot water cylinder which took forever. And the header tank in the airing cupboard was not that much higher than the bath, so not much pressure to force out the hot water upstairs.

So for me a combi is working very well, we get better flow/pressure from the bath tap and it fills quicker.

All of the installers who gave us quotes said we would not be able to simply replace the boiler and keep the gravity system if we wanted to, because it was against regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back