Condensing or combi boiler

Sponsored Links
There's no question, I did balls up on that one. So you don't rate the combisaves then Dan,

Sponsored Links
Is your hot water tank in the Airing Cupboard? Is SWMBO prepared to lose it ('cause with the heat source for the airing cupboard gone will the SWMBO be happy)?

As for No11 - I wish I could convince my SWMBO to stop using the hot tap for 5 sec's worth of 'cold' water...

There's no question, I did balls up on that one. So you don't rate the combisaves then Dan,

They're notorious for failing. Most boilers have a preheat function now too. The better ones use past usage to intelligently time when this is active to get a balance between energy use and comfort.

Keep on plugging Blowhardgreen. You might get there one day.

Been there already, seen the evidence, why don't you give facts and figures to support your opinion. Such as the algorythm and test methods that can make a boiler more than 120% (hi) efficient when the actual efficiency is often far lower. Can you explain why you discounted the Building Reseach Establishment tests and efficeincy ratings for combi boilers producing hot water in domestic use. Between 32.7% and 70.2% depending on the number of people and the way the hot water was drawn.

The better ones use past usage to intelligently time

Big brother boilers taking control of the heating and hot water. Is that really a better way to run you heating and hot water. Or is it a sales gimmick for the un-aware and easily mislead customers.

Is your hot water tank in the Airing Cupboard? Is SWMBO prepared to lose it ('cause with the heat source for the airing cupboard gone will the SWMBO be happy)?
In that case turn it around, put a physically smaller heat source radiator in, more efficient and controllable, gain the other half of the airing cupboard back, and gain massive brownie points!
Big brother boilers taking control of the heating and hot water. Is that really a better way to run you heating and hot water. Or is it a sales gimmick for the un-aware and easily mislead customers.
:LOL:i assume you're taking the Mick, I can understand smart meter worries but t government tapping into your boiler is a step too far for my imagination

i assume you're taking the Mick,

No, I have serious concerns. Not about the government being involved ( well not in the immediate future ) but that the boiler decides on the heating necessary and gets it wrong and cannot be easily overidden.

Also why would a cluster of boilers need to interconnect with each other and exchange data between themselves. Yes I can see some "advantage" in a faulty boiler being able to call the service man without involving the people in the house. Ideal for landlords who have tenants who do not look after his property but for owner occupiers ?, is it necessary.

Dan was talking about the boiler only preheating 24 hours after there was demand, to save wasting gas when you're asleep.

The boiler uses past activation to predict future activation. And have been doing it for decades. Long before they were connected.

Also why would a cluster of boilers need to interconnect with each other and exchange data between themselves. Yes I can see some "advantage" in a faulty boiler being able to call the service man without involving the people in the house. Ideal for landlords who have tenants who do not look after his property but for owner occupiers ?, is it necessary.

Your ignorance of the topic is amusing considering how against the principle you are.

The mesh network is to allow a single box to be used for 250 appliances. Saving a housing association having the cost and complexity of 250 boxes.

The unit for regular systems can link 4 (iirc) boilers and is useful when you have multiple boilers in a property.

As for the bre figures. It should be obvious why they're crap. Besides, as I have said before, having worked at their establishment in Watford, I've seen first hand the incompetence of and if the people working there.

Such as the algorythm and test methods that can make a boiler more than 120% (hi) efficient when the actual efficiency is often far lower.

I care little. I don't measure the claim of 122% efficiency. I don't sell that boiler (yet). It is the test house that generates the results, not Intergas. Have you asked the test house?

Or are you going to keep banging your drum of self-importance?

I wonder if that was an electric immersion heater. About one tenth the power of a modern gas boiler.

Nope, just a very poor gravity setup with lots of horizontal runs and probably sludged up. When the pipes out of the boiler got hot, it took a good 5-10 minutes before the pipes going into the hot water cylinder got hot. It was the main reason we went for a combi rather than replacing like for like and keeping the gravity.

It was the main reason we went for a combi rather than replacing like for like and keeping the gravity.
You can't do gravity on a new boiler, has to be fully pumped. With clean pipe work there's no problem with recovery time on a decent cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back