Oil Filters

I completely agree! It seems the entire western civilization is built upon the need to borrow. I recently read somewhere that Debenhams made more money from their financial products than from the store, I don't how good the authority is for that as I can't remember where I saw it. I think there was a similar thing with general motors that they made more money from new car loans than the cars themselves again I remember this factoid but don't remember it's origin if it's factual or not

It's believable.

When a basic ford focus is £22k... That's rediculous for something that's supposed to be an every day everyone vehicle.

So many people live their lives on tick these days, it's easy to get sucked in as it's only £xxx per month... But then they don't realise how much they will ultimately pay.

My parents bought a car on PCP £300 per month, at the end of 3 years they have to pay 7k (or whatever the agreed value is) or sign upto a new contract with a new car.

My parents are now sucked in as they heard some horror stories of modern cars being very complicated and when they break down they cost lots to repair. They are now gonna be paying £300 per month for life now, car dealers are loving it, they earning loads on the finance.

Sponsored Links
It's believable. When a basic ford focus is £22k... That's rediculous for something that's supposed to be an every day everyone vehicle.
I took a focus estate for a testdrive a few years ago and was sure it was in the region of £30k

Last edited by a moderator:
It's believable.

When a basic ford focus is £22k... That's rediculous for something that's supposed to be an every day everyone vehicle.

So many people live their lives on tick these days, it's easy to get sucked in as it's only £xxx per month... But then they don't realise how much they will ultimately pay.

My parents bought a car on PCP £300 per month, at the end of 3 years they have to pay 7k (or whatever the agreed value is) or sign upto a new contract with a new car.

My parents are now sucked in as they heard some horror stories of modern cars being very complicated and when they break down they cost lots to repair. They are now gonna be paying £300 per month for life now, car dealers are loving it, they earning loads on the finance.

All good, because the more new cars being bought on the drip then churned out onto the second hand market means bargains for us practical tight-wads who want second or third hand cars. Amazed how much modern cars drop in value, some real bargains out there.

Wasn't always like this. My father told me about when he bought a new 2 door MK3 Cortina in the early 70s. He kept it a year and wanted to trade it in for another. Because of inflation, cars had risen in price in the 12 months he owned it. When he traded it in, they gave him virtually what he paid for it.

Last edited:
All good, because the more new cars being bought on the drip then churned out onto the second hand market means bargains for us practical tight-wads who want send or third hand cars. Amazed how much modern cars drop in value, some real bargains out there.

Lol true

Sponsored Links
So you've actually witnessed it. I haven't but I know some people have said that because they spent too much time worrying about this type of "idealized lifestyle" they ended up constantly depressed/anxious and since they gave up social media they have noticed a big improvement! Strange days we live in! You'd think they would realize that someone will notice sooner or later. Imagine how embarrassing that would be if your neighbours found out you were up to all that exaggerating etc
Problem is that they don't care if a few neighbours find out.
Their followers on the other side of the world will never know.

Problem is that they don't care if a few neighbours find out. Their followers on the other side of the world will never know.
I wonder who it is they're trying to impress?

Dad used to Go round the car dealers mid week when he wanted a replacement car. Find a dealer with a car he liked as the test drive car; take it for a test drive and when back with the dealership ask if they would sell that car to him.
best deal he had was 20% off the car with 150 miles on the clock in the wanted colour and a higher spec than expected. took it home the same day. Worst deal was 10% off a car with 750 miles on the clock. I normally had the ones he didn't trade in.

I'm so fascinated with that! I wonder who it is they're trying to impress? Surely they wouldn't do that to family and extended family so perhaps it's to followers and whatnot. I'm the only person I know who doesn't have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Chatsnap
And me.
However, I do have a Twitter account to read the news, but no followers and no friends.

I'm so fascinated with that! I wonder who it is they're trying to impress? Surely they wouldn't do that to family and extended family so perhaps it's to followers and whatnot. I'm the only person I know who doesn't have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Chatsnap

I'm with you - No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Chatsnap (would DIYnot be social media?) accounts.

So along with johnnny 2007 that's 2 more.

+1
Always best to remain anonymous, is the advice from the Teachers Unions......I have to remain a member until I pop my clogs.
John :)

For sure, certain handshakes prove beneficial from time to time!
We need union protection in case any individual from years back tries it on as victimisation can be a real threat.......hence the need to avoid social media to jerk any memories!
Several individuals have found out the hard way if things backfire.
John :)

For sure, certain handshakes prove beneficial from time to time!
We need union protection in case any individual from years back tries it on as victimisation can be a real threat.......hence the need to avoid social media to jerk any memories!
Several individuals have found out the hard way if things backfire.John :)
Is it standard procedure for teachers to avoid an online presence?

+1
Always best to remain anonymous, is the advice from the Teachers Unions......I have to remain a member until I pop my clogs. John :)
It does make sense as there's been many cases of people falling a bit short of funds and thinking they'll make spurious claims.

Sponsored Links
Back