oil fired boiler and solid fuel range

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I live in ireland, just brought a new house that has the central heating run via a solid fuel range cooker.

I know some will think im mad but im installing an oil fired boiler (no gas available) purely because of coming home from work to a cold house then having to light the range.

However, my girlfriend wishes to keep the range for cosmetic reasons, so if were keeping it we may as well keep it connected to the system.

My question is can a boiler and a range be connected to the system together and what is the best way to connect it. Im doing the alterations myself, a simple diagram would help. The Hot water is gravity at present and i would like a fully pumped system. Also the existing pump is on the return and it operated via a pipe stat on the return.

Sponsored Links
What make of range is it?

You can't have the output from the range fully pumped. It must have some gravity heat leak.

Sponsored Links
it is a stanley range

I fully understand the gravity issue, the website link has a usefull diagram.

Before you informed me of the gravity problem i was just going to connect the flow and return of the range to the flow and return of the sytem including the boiler and using a switch that disconnects the boiler and opens a valve effectively connecting the range to the system. I was also going to put rad in the airing cupboard as a heat leak. Is this feasable??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back